Chapter 29 - Team of Two

Start from the beginning

The sword and all its lighting went deep into the tree trunk-like calf and the Narg grunted in pain and frustration.

Zalan abandoned his sword in the creature, keeping his momentum going and continued running forward between the Narg's legs. The Narg hadn't let up its swing. Zalan grabbed Yelsa from the back of her tunic and dragged her forward a few feet as the earth shook violently from the club's impact. Yelsa screamed out in pain, and Zalan felt her body resist his pulling. She'd been struck by the immense weapon. But at least she was alive.

Zalan grit his teeth and looked backward to see what had happened. One of the bones protruding from the Narg's club had gone through the side of Yelsa's leg. Thankfully, her leg was largely okay, other than the gash. She wouldn't lose her foot. The Narg looked ferociously in pain and stumbled down to one knee, the sword in its leg too much for it to continue standing.

"Yelsa! Shoot its eyes! Its eyes!" Zalan screamed as he shot a bolt of lightning at the creature's face. It closed its eyes in rage and roared its deep croak in anger. Zalan pulled an arrow from her quiver and began slapping her hand with it for her to pick it up."Yelsa!!!"

"Ahhh!" Yelsa screamed and fitted the arrow, then loosed it into the Narg's right eye, immediately blinding it. Zalan pulled another arrow for her, but Yelsa screamed in unimaginable pain as the Narg raised its club once more, pulling the sharp debris from Yelsa's leg.

"Quick! Before it attacks again!" Zalan screamed as the Narg stumbled as it tried to hold the club upward.

"I can't see!" Yelsa screamed.

Zalan looked down at her and noticed tears streaming over her eyes from the pain. She had been blinded by her agony. She was in no shape to take aim at another moving target. He grit his teeth and acted quickly.

"Sorry," he said as he gripped the back of her tunic.

Yelsa screamed as Zalan began pulling her further away and used his free hand to let loose a series of lightning bolts towards the Narg's good eye, keeping it too blind to see them. Nevertheless, it slammed its club down at them again uninhibitedly, only to miss by a few feet. Zalan stumbled by the force of the impact next to him. Yelsa was too loud. It would get them killed if the Narg listened closely enough.

"Bite onto this," Zalan placed an arrow into her mouth to stop the screaming and more effectively hide them. He continued his onslaught of lightning in the eye and dragged Yelsa away as she continued a muffled groan in torment at her injury being pulled over the ground.

The Narg was still moving too fast. Carrying Yelsa's weight was too much and Zalan couldn't outrun it. Breathing heavily, he scanned the monster in search of a weak point. The only thing that stood out to him was his own sword. He grit his teeth, deciding it was the best chance he had.

Zalan stopped to take proper aim at their stumbling opponent. Taking inspiration from his encounter with the Boznoks, Zalan fired what felt like his remaining energy into the blade. As he'd hoped, the blade hungrily absorbed the electricity and sent the shocking blast straight into the Narg's body from the inside. Involuntarily twisting its body, the monster halted its approach, temporarily immobilized.

Finally, Zalan felt like they were far enough from the beast to stop pulling her. Yelsa spat out the arrow from her mouth and used her hands to block any sounds from escaping her mouth. Zalan let out one last bolt of lightning, then fell on his rear in exhaustion. Even with all the adrenaline, he couldn't keep up the usage of so much lightning. Despite his inability to keep up the assault, the Narg kept its arrow-free eye shut for a few more seconds. Zalan wondered if it was trying to protect itself from more lightning. After another few seconds of its eye staying close, he realized that it couldn't open its eye. He had hit it so much that it was entirely blind. The Narg tried to stand at full height, then stumbled back down to its kneeling position. The arrow in one foot and the sword in the other calf were taking their toll.