Chapter 16: A Warning

Start from the beginning

"Woah," I gasp.

His majesty turns to look at me. "Quite beautiful, isn't it?"

I nod in agreement. "I've never seen so much ice before. Is it safe to walk on?"

He nods. "It is frozen all the way through. Have you ever gone ice skating?"

I look at him, perplexed. "What is ice skating?"

He laughs a little at my confusion. "Perhaps I will have to teach you some day."

"Uhh...sure," I nod, though mentally note that will never ever happen.

"Your majesty, how marvelous is this view!" Lady Annabeth runs up to him excitedly.

"Lady (y/n)!" Crunches of boots in the snow snap my head around.

"Lady Aria! Look how beautiful this is!" I excitedly point at the frosted water.

She grins, looking forward. "It is quite the sight! This land is all owned by his majesty, so very few have been here before."

Lady Aria looked past my head, before whispering so only I could hear. "Why was his majesty so cross with you?"

I turn around, seeing him talking to a group of ladies, before turning back to Lady Aria.

"He said next time I should ask him for assistance on my horse, instead of a knight," I whisper back.

She furrowed her eyebrows. "That is odd...I asked a knight for assistance and he didn't say anything to me."

I furrow my eyebrows back at her.

'Why would he single me out?'

"I don't have a good feeling about this, Lady (y/n). You must be careful. I see the way he looks at you," she whispers, a concerned look on her face.

"Will you two be joining us?" His majesty's voice startles us, Lady Aria squeaking at the sudden attention. We turn to look at him, the other ladies behind him.

Emperor Kruos's eyes narrow at her reaction, my heart beating in my chest. 'What does she mean?'

"O-of course, your majesty," I instinctively grab Lady Aria's hand and walk over to him. He locks his eyes on our intertwined hands, his blank stare colder than the land we stand upon.

"Follow me," he gestures to the group. We walk alongside the outskirts of the frozen lake, before approaching a small area with a few tables and benches.

"We will take a small lunch break. Feel free to roam around, though do stay within the perimeters of our knights." A few guards unpack the bags that were attached to the horses, baskets filled with prepared meals.

Grabbing a small sandwich, I open the wrapper and take a bite, groaning at the deliciousness. This was my first meal of the day, technically, so I will be savoring every crumb.

A few ladies have sat down on the benches near his majesty, small chatter breaking out amongst themselves.

Taking this opportunity, Lady Aria and I look at each other with a knowing look, walking back to look at the lake, away from his majesty's earshot.

"What did you mean by 'the way he looks at you'?" I question her, taking another bite of my sandwich. The ice glistens as the sun reflects off of it, and I am thankful for the warmth, basking in the rare occasion.

She squirms a bit, looking back to ensure his majesty was not coming this way. "Well, the whole time I was behind you, he kept passing looks at you. But...they weren't normal looks. I cannot describe it, but it was as if it were a man looking at his most prized possession."