20| Serene moments

Start from the beginning

"Jaanam, it's my duty and responsibility to clean the entire temple with my own hands. Shringar is done by the priests, but other rituals are performed by the head of the village, which is me right now. Nobody else is allowed to help. Only my wife or the second in command could help me," explained Adhiraj, smiling at Annahita.

"Then why did you agree to take my help?" argued Annahita.

"I did, Jaan. And you'll help me by your mere presence. Your presence is enough help to my soul," Adhiraj said, patting her cheeks gently.

"Stop flirting. Can't I help you even a little bit?" Annahita retorted.

"Marry me and help however you want," Adhiraj replied, holding her hand.

"You and your smart mouth. Always flirting with me," Annahita teased, rolling her eyes.

"Okay, okay. Don't get angry. The least help you could offer is to help me clean the corridor and the outside area of the temple. The inner place where Maa is situated is forbidden for you for now" Adhiraj instructed, interlocking his fingers with hers.

"Okay then, let's go. It's already so late. Hurry up," said Annahita excitedly.

"You know I've never done these things, so I'm really excited," Annahita admitted, smiling at him.

_________________

As Adhiraj and Annahita began cleaning the temple corridor and the surrounding area using the holy water from the river, they engaged in lighthearted banter. Adhiraj openly flirted with her, enjoying the privacy of the temple vicinity.

After some time, Adhiraj went to bathe in the river as it was time to clean the inner temple. He instructed Annahita to sit in the corridor and rest.

"You can rest here or go home. I'll call Kaali to pick you up," Adhiraj suggested.

"No, I'll rest here. You go and do your work. I'll wait for you," Annahita replied.

"Okay then. Don't go anywhere until then, and here, take my phone to watch something until I come back. It will take me some time," Adhiraj said, handing over his phone to her.

"Okay, thank you. You go and do your work," Annahita responded, smiling at Adhiraj.

Adhiraj proceeded with the temple priests to the inner sanctum, while Annahita sat in the corridor area with his phone. As she unlocked the phone, she was surprised to see her photo as his wallpaper, showing her leaning on Tripti's shoulder. Blushing at his audacity, she opened YouTube to watch some videos and pass the time.

After hours of working in the inner temple, Adhiraj emerged, his right hand clenched tightly in his left. He approached Annahita and sat beside her, visibly fatigued. Annahita noticed his clenched hand and his sweat-soaked forehead. She gently wiped his forehead with her dupatta.

"Is it hurting? You've been working for hours nonstop. You should take care of yourself. You should've listened to Maa and Baba. Look now, wha-"

"Shh. How can you speak nonstop, Jaana?" Adhiraj interjected, placing his finger on her lips, silencing her rambling.

"I'm fine. It's just some fatigue and nothing else. Let's go. You must be hungry," said Adhiraj, removing his fingers from her lips.

"Let's go after some time. It's peaceful here. Let's sit for a few minutes," replied Annahita.

"Okay. The puja will take place tomorrow, so let's sit for a while," agreed Adhiraj.

As the gentle breeze swirled around them, Adhiraj and Annahita sat in silence, side by side. The sun was beginning its descent, casting a warm golden glow over the temple courtyard. The distant sounds of birds chirping and leaves rustling added to the serene atmosphere.

Annahita glanced sideways at Adhiraj, observing the lines of fatigue etched on his face, softened by the evening light. Despite the exhaustion, there was a sense of tranquility in his demeanor, as if the weight of the world had momentarily lifted from his shoulders.

With a tender gesture, Annahita reached out and intertwined her fingers with his uninjured hand, offering a silent reassurance. Adhiraj's gaze softened as he looked at her, his eyes reflecting gratitude and warmth.

Together, they sat immersed in the peaceful ambiance, finding solace in each other's presence. It was a moment of quiet understanding, where words seemed unnecessary amidst the shared comfort of companionship. In that fleeting moment, amidst the tranquil surroundings, their bond grew stronger, woven together by moments of silent connection.

The temple courtyard was bathed in the soft hues of dusk, casting long shadows that danced gracefully across the ground.

Annahita leaned back against the cool stone wall, her eyes wandering over the intricate carvings adorning the temple facade. Each detail seemed to tell a story, whispering of centuries-old traditions and timeless rituals.

Beside her, Adhiraj's breathing gradually steadied, his tense muscles slowly relaxing as he absorbed the tranquil surroundings. His gaze drifted upwards, lingering on the flickering flame of an oil lamp that cast a warm, flickering glow against the darkening sky.

In that moment of quiet reflection, amidst the sacred stillness of the temple grounds, Adhiraj and Annahita found themselves enveloped in a sense of peace and serenity. It was as if time itself had slowed to a gentle rhythm, allowing them to pause and savour the simple beauty of the present moment.

Annahita felt a profound sense of gratitude wash over her. Here, in this sacred space, she found solace in the quiet companionship of the man beside her, their shared silence speaking volumes more than words ever could.

_____________

Hello lovely people 💞
Are you guys doing well?
So here's the new update
This story is going to have so many chapters that even I don't know when it will end.
I don't want to end the story really quickly and neither I can rush the story. I want it to be slow with all the details.
I'm trying to update as quickly as possible.
So stay tuned for the next update.
Thank you for all your support 💖
Vote and comment please 🥺

Thank you for all your support 💖Vote and comment please 🥺