chapter fourteen: your background

Start from the beginning

He sighed as he turned to her, "I'm still sorry about them."

Her head jerked back when he suddenly touched her head.

"There's...confetti stuck in your hair.", he said as he showed her the confetti piece he picked from her hair.

"Oh..thank you."

"There they are! Oooh...you two are matching.", Jieun approached them and looked at them from top to bottom.

"Matching? No...", Jungkook denied while glancing at Chaeyoung's outfit.

She was wearing a grey long sleeve shirt and black jeans. He was wearing all black with a white tee. They were not exactly matching.

"You two look cosy together, that's what I mean.", Jieun smiled teasingly before pulling Chaeyoung's hand to go with her. "Come on, Chaeyoung. We have a lot of food. Delicious, sweet and sour, everything."

Jungkook watched with shaking his head, he knew that the next few hours with them all teasing him with Chaeyoung would be unbearable.

"Be cool, Jungkook.", he reminded himself before he pushed the trolley cart to the centre of the garden-like rooftop.

"Look at these. We have GoldenGrove's first anniversary lemon cake, kimchi pancake, salmon bulgogi, sweet and spicy shrimp, grilled beef, dumplings, chicken pie, hot pot, everything. Jungkook made all these except the dumplings, I made the dumplings.", Jieun said to Chaeyoung as she looked at the variety of food they had on the long table.

"Oh, yeah. I bring some fruits. They're tropical fruits imported from New Zealand, I think they're perfect for desserts.", Chaeyoung showed the packed box in her hand to them.

Yeji took a closer look while Hyunjin helped to open the box, "Ooh, healthy fruits. Boss likes them."

Jungkook just smiled, "Everyone does."

"Oh, you're the healthy freak. Everyone knows.", Jieun chimed in.

"Let me put them in a bowl. We can make fruit salad from these.", Hyunjin suggested.

"That's a good idea.", Jieun said before telling him to leave. "Thank you for the fruits, Chaeyoung. Anyway, what's this last dish you bring here, Jungkook?", she asked while observing the covered dish on the trolley cart.

All GoldenGrove staff gathered for the dish as Jungkook had said that it would be the newest addition in the cafe menu. Jungkook smiled as he looked at their anticipation for the reveal. Chaeyoung was confused at first before Jieun told her why they were excited about it.

"Presenting...GoldenGrove's newest dish...herbal rosé pasta.", he opened the cover with a wide smile on his face.

All of their eyes widened with excitement as they began to try the new menu together. Jungkook stepped back to let them have a taste first. Chaeyoung also stepped back as she remembered the last time she ate rosé pasta.

"Don't you want to try it?", Jungkook asked in a whisper as he walked to her side.

She looked at him, smiling awkwardly as she tried to let go of the past.

"You know...I made it while thinking about you.", he said while watching his staff enjoying the pasta.

"Me?", Chaeyoung pointed to herself.

Jungkook nodded, "I think you'll like it."

"Oh..."

"Wait here. I'll get some for you.", he said before taking an empty bowl to take some of the rosé pasta for her.

Moments later, he came back with the bowl filled with the creamy pasta he made for her.

"Here."

"Thank you."