Chapter 24: Demon

Start from the beginning

"How many are there now?" Muta spat out his question as he led the pair to a back office area that was much cleaner than the rest of the rotting machinery.

"How many what?" Megumi asked, ignoring Toge's attempt to sign an answer.

"How many of you, people who remember, are there?" Muta turned to look at them as he placed himself in a perfectly upholstered black office chair.

It didn't match the rest of the room. There were screens behind him showing crisp security footage of the exterior and interior of the supposed warehouse. Toge tried to look past Muta, but the man must have noticed, shifting his body to be directly in the way.

Megumi looked to Toge for an answer, signing, "How many?"

Toge simply held up his fingers, conveying as much of the truth as he knew, "Five."

"Huh, not including Todo or me?" Muta scratched the side of his head.

Toge shook his head.

"Sounds like Gojo's got himself quite a network. If you only know five, assume there are at least double that. He might seem a little dense, but there is a reason they say Gojo Satoru has six eyes," Muta remarked, scanning the room as if searching for an answer.

"He is deceptively cunning," Megumi frowned.

"So, Inumaki, you're the brains of this team? All five of you?" Muta inquired.

Toge shook his head, deciding to cast his first lie, "Two."

"Only the two of you? Smart, smart. When you add too many loose ends, stuff starts to break. That's how we got ourselves into this situation after all," Muta reflected.

"What do you mean?" Megumi asked.

"Oh? I figured you knew the story if you had seen the machine," Muta said.

"I actually haven't. Only Toge has," Megumi replied.

"Interesting. And you believed him?" Muta leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees.

Megumi blushed, "I have my reasons too. And he has his reasons not to lie."

"Really? But he has already lied since we've been talking. You didn't know that, of course," Muta smirked.

Megumi turned to give Toge an emerald-eyed glance, "I'm sure he had his reasons, regardless of what it was."

Muta smiled, "A trusting one, I see. Well, let me enlighten you. This isn't the situation that you thought it was. At least, it's become a lot more intense since you've called. So, let's start with the truth, both of you. How many people are there?"

Toge reluctantly held up his fingers, "Three."

"Now, who is the other?" Muta frowned.

Toge signed out his name as Megumi interpreted, "Okkotsu Yuta."

Muta's eyes widened, "Really? Todo's so-called 'brother'? That's hilarious! I knew you two were hanging out a lot, but that's a new layer I didn't see coming!"

"Me either," Megumi frowned.

"Don't worry Fushiguro, there is a lot to this story you don't know. That's okay. In the name of trusting each other, I should bind my own word to you," Muta stood, then bowed. "I am Muta Kokichi, the original constructor and engineer of the machine known as The Splinter of the Mind's Eye."

"Nice to meet you," Megumi gave a slight bow.

Toge signed to Megumi, "There is no way this is his real warehouse."