chapter 2

~harry's pov~

the smirk that plays on draco's lips is a familiar comfort, a return to the usual cover of our insults. it's almost...safe. except for the lingering memory of his apology, hanging heavy in the air between us. 

"alright, alright, potter," he draws, regaining his composure. "just try not to fall asleep on your quill this time. wouldn't want snape to think you're actually enjoying potions, would we?" draco remarks at me, his face containing a full smirk now. i scoff, a playful edge returning to my voice. 

"as if. unless the potion involves sleeping through your horrible insults, i doubt i'll find any true enjoyment here." draco's eyes narrows playfully.

"oh, so you admit i'm captivating?" heat floods my cheeks. i feel myself becoming red, but i try not to act as if his words affect me.

 "merlin, malfoy, did you take a confundus potion this morning? 'captivating' is not a word i would ever use to describe you." 

"a shame," he says, a hint of a genuine smile flickering across his face before he quickly masks it. "though, considering your usual focus in this class, i wouldn't be surprised if you found a dead insect more captivating than me." i can't help but grin. 

maybe the apology had just been a figment of my sleep-deprived imagination, fueled by too much of him in my head. as snape drones on about the assignment we need to finish by next week, i find myself stealing glances at draco once more. he seems refocused on the lesson, determined to catch up on what he missed while wasting his precious time talking to me. i notice how he shifts under my gaze, knowing i'm watching him. i smile at his discomfort and look away to allow him some time to actually get some of his work done. 

suddenly, draco swears under his breath, a tiny bead of blood welling up on his thumb from a paper cut. without thinking, i instantly grab a tissue from my bag and hold it out to him. he looks at me, surprised, then hesitantly takes the tissue, dabbing at the cut. 

"thanks, potter," he mutters, his voice barely a whisper. the air crackles with unspoken words. is it just me, or has the temperature in the room suddenly risen? 

"no problem," i mumble back, focusing fiercely on the notes snape had scrawled on the board. but my concentration is gone, not that it was present in the first place. all i can think about is the way draco's eyes had held mine for just a second too long, the way his voice had softened. the rest of the lesson is a blur of bubbling cauldrons and snape's criticism. when the bell finally rings, i practically bolt for the door, a nervous flutter in my stomach. 

"potter!" draco calls after me. i hesitate, then turn back to see him walking towards me, a tentative look in his eyes. before i can respond, hermione appears beside me, a stack of books in her arms. 

"harry! did you get the notes for today's lesson?" she askes, oblivious to the silent exchange between me and draco. relief washes over me. 

"uh, yeah, i think so. see you in charms, hermione." i practically sprint out of the classroom, leaving draco and hermione staring after me. maybe a little mystery isn't a bad thing. after all, the thrill of the chase is half the fun, isn't it? but even as i tell myself that, a tiny, traitorous part of me can't help but wonder if draco felt the same nervous flutter in his stomach.

~draco's pov~

potter flees the potions classroom like a scared mouse, and relief washes over me. it's a strange feeling, considering i just intended to call him back. 

stupid potter. him staring at me. the unexpected concern in his eyes. it makes my stomach do a peculiar flip. it makes me feel so sick, it's just impossible. absolutely, utterly impossible. he's the bane of my existence, the arrogant gryffindor who revels in making my life a living hell. the way his hand hovered over my injured thumb, the concern etched on his face? that doesn't matter at all. i scoff as if to punctuate my thought, a hollow sound that echoes in my own ears.

it's probably potter's latest evil plot, some gryffindor trickery to throw me off guard. i replay the scene in my head. the blush creeping up his neck when i called him captivating. the way his beautiful emerald eyes locked with mine for a beat too long. maybe, just maybe, potter wasn't entirely surprised by my comment. 

the thought sends a jolt through me, a thrill that has nothing to do with a quidditch victory. it's a foreign sensation, confusing and exhilarating at the same time. i put a stop to my thoughts immediately. no. absolutely not. this is potter, the golden boy, the boy-who-lived. feelings like these are a betrayal to my family, to everything i believe in. besides, potter wouldn't feel the same. he wouldn't understand the turmoil i have deep within me. have always had deep within me, whether i like it or not. 

i shove my things into my backpack, slowly leaving the classroom, retracing everything that just happened. the traitorous part of me, the part awakened by potter's unexpected kindness, wishes i could chase after him. but the sensible, the slytherin part, sneers at the very thought. i force myself to walk away, the image of potter's gorgeous emerald eyes and the nervous flutter in my stomach a constant, unwanted companion. 

i wish to dismiss it as potter's cunning plan, but a flicker of doubt remains. maybe it really is genuine, and i have absolutely no clue what to do if it is. and to top it all off, the electricity flowing through my veins thinking about him isn't helping my cause in any way.

~~~

what?? two chapters in two days? 

enjoy this luxury, it's never happening again

thank u guyss hope u like the story so farrr<333

i'll see u in the next chapter, loves!