13. The First of Many

Shaddox was left to rest in one of the doctor's beds. He would wake up later that day to find Angie sleeping in the chair next to him. Her head would have slumped over into Shaddox's bed, and his hand would be covered in drool. Yolanda was still sitting straight up in her stool when Battalia woke up. The doctor was offering her a bed, when she asked Battalia, "Are you rested, child?"

Battalia responded, "Yes, I actually slept pretty well." She could tell that something was wrong with Yolanda.

"It appears I can't walk anymore. Would you mind carrying me to my house?"

The doctor assured that her paralysis was only temporary. Magic did cause physical exhaustion, and Yolanda had been using it for hours after years without practice. Battalia carried the old woman on her back. It was early; the sky was pink as the sun had just started to rise. After they had entered the woods, Yolanda broke the silence.

"I want you to take Angie with you."

"No," Battalia quickly responded

"Has she not proven herself?" Yolanda asked. "She made herself steel last night. I doubt she'd hold you back anymore."

Battalia remained silent.

"Angie has too much potential to be hiding out in the boonies. I know you feel the same."

Battalia was still quiet.

"Shaddox removed her name from the town ledger anyways. You guys will set out in two days. Take her to train in the mountains."

Battalia stopped and finally addressed her.

"I don't want her coming with me. I don't want her to die, and I don't want her to become a killer." There was a brief silence before Battalia began walking again.

"Good. You'll make an excellent teacher."

"I couldn't forgive myself if something happened."

"That's why I'm not asking you. I'm telling you. If things go wrong you can come here and curse my name a thousand times."

Battalia remained silent.

"I believe you might be the only person in Europa who can reign her in. You possess strength, but also restraint. She's never met someone like you before."

Battalia arrived at Yolanda's house and placed the old woman in her bed. The witch told her she could sleep in the guest bedroom. Battalia hadn't gotten a full night's sleep, so she took Yolanda up on her offer. She was confused as to how Yolanda only had one guest bedroom in her three-story house. "Don't mind the cats," Yolanda had told her. Battalia didn't see any cats before going to sleep; however, she did wake up periodically to cats jumping on the bed. By the time Battalia had fully woken up, there were seven cats in the bed with her. They surrounded her body. One laid straight against her head, while two were squeezed against each of her sides. Most of them didn't annoy her. She was only bothered by the two which were curled up between her legs. They forced her to keep them split, while also making the blanket tighter. She finally got up when there was a knock at the door. All of the cats instantly scrambled. Angie was at the front.

Instead of her usual outfit which was more suited for the outdoors, Angie was wearing a red overall dress over a white shirt.

"Why are you still wearing your combat gear?" she asked Battalia.

It took the assassin a second to notice that the leather corset was still strapped onto her.

"Here, maybe Yolanda has some clothes you can borrow."