𝟬𝟬𝟭 - 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗯𝗲𝘁

Start from the beginning

To say that she was surprised was an understatement. Damian Astrea wasn't the right person for family moments or anything like that; the girl didn't even remember the last time they had any kind of meal together or the last time she had any kind of chatting with him. He was always too busy at work to have any kind of interaction with his children.

Eyana approached her brother and sat down by him as she put on her shoes and covered up her expression of surprise. "He is downstairs?" Haakon slowly nodded in response to her question, resting his chin on his hand to give his older sister a closer look. "He said he wanted to talk to you!" The youngster swiftly shook his head in response, and Eyana couldn't help but sigh nervously.

She was really frustrated since her father only gave her a few words of attention when he pointed out something she had done incorrectly. The sermon was so brief that it hardly qualified as a conversation—rather, it felt more like a syllable-for-syllable exchange, and that was the worst part.

He didn't even care enough to give her a proper reprimand.

However, she couldn't resent him; although she remembered little before the dark days, she could recall some instances in which her father treated her with love, and, despite appearances, the man who sang her lullabies was still alive; at least, a good portion of him was still directed at Haakon.

As long as Haakon was okay, she would be too.

Eyana looked down, meeting the younger boy's enthusiastic gaze once more, and smiled as best she could, trying not to worry him. "Well, what are we waiting for? "Let's eat!" She stood up and extended her hand to the youngest, who quickly accepted it and hurried out of the room, tripping over his pajama trousers, which were too large for him, the girl let out a nasal laugh as she picked up her schoolbag and walked towards the door, following her brother.

As she proceeded down the stairs, Eyana could smell the cinnamon and chocolate buns, which made her stomach grumble in response. It's no surprise Haakon left the room quickly; the boy can smell the sweets from a long distance.

However, upon entering the dining room, the girl quickly changed her posture, prepared for a half-lecture, and stretched her back when she noticed her father, who seemed too busy reading the newspaper and eating a croissant to even notice the presence of the girl in the silent room; well, it was almost silent since her little brother had a bad habit of eating with his mouth open.

"Good morning." She said this and mentally cursed herself for having spoken with such a low and insecure voice; she felt like an insecure child around him.

"Good morning, Eyana; sit down." Her father responded by just looking over his glasses at her and returning his attention to the newspaper, waiting to hear the sound of her chair so he could say what he had in mind.

The girl sat down, hoping that one of the housemaids would serve her as usual, and when that happened, she gave a polite smile and looked at the cinnamon rolls in front of her, eager to try them. However, Damian seemed to have other ideas in mind.

The maids, who were always talkative with the younger ones, now found themselves silent with the man's heavy presence.

"Next week, it's the reaping day." The older man began, this time looking away from what he was reading to notice the posture of his eldest daughter, who didn't dare turn her head; however, she was confused; he never paid attention to that day, it was rare to find something that caught his attention.

It wasn't out of benevolence; Eyana was fully aware of this; that man's superiority complex was well veiled, but it still there; nonetheless, he was far different from the majority of Capitol people who relished the punishment that games offered; Damian was a completely different case.