Prologue

The state of Pennsylvania was utterly devastated by the Great War. Not much was left behind in Philadelphia, except some half destroyed buildings and the Liberty Bell. It was the American dream, demolished and in ruins. The place became inhabitable and irradiated for a long time. Radscorpions and deathclaws ruled the place, until the Brotherhood of Steel appeared. Their Elder wanted to establish a base and Philly seemed to be a good place to start. With their vast range of weapons, they managed to clean the place, and build a fortified facility. The Brotherhood managed to find a Vault, one of Vault-Tec pre-war constructions. It was locked by the time they got there, and they didn't try to open it, to avoid either massive loss of civilian lives and to prevent the release of any potentially contagious pre-war disease that could kill their soldiers. Around 2150, families of traders and settlers started to build their homes around the base, and the Brotherhood didn't mind, unless they got in the way of the organization's interests. By 2277, Philly had become something more than a ruined city with a pre-war bell. The Philly Wastes were far from the safest place in the world, but they were certainly better than the Capital Wasteland. People married, had kids, and their kids grew up to have more kids. Except for some areas where mutant creatures could attack, the city was safe. The population's biggest concern was, of course, The Institute. Rumors said that it was now based somewhere in the Commonwealth. No one really knew what they did, some said that they were responsible for the War, some said that they were building humanoid creatures and releasing them to the world. Some people said these creatures malfunctioned and killed people. Their intentions with those synths were unknown. People feared being captured and replaced by them. The Brotherhood made sure to let the population know that it one of their most important missions was to find and exterminate the members of the organization, avoiding the spread of their ideas.

Capital Wasteland - Formerly known as Washington, D.C.

The Commonwealth - Formerly known as the state of Massachusetts