Short Chapter But Xander's in it

It had been a week since I reluctantly agreed to fake date Grayson Hawthorne, and in that time, my interactions with Jameson had become painfully strained. Every attempt at conversation felt like navigating a minefield, with each step forward met with resistance and frustration.

"Jameson, can we talk?" I ventured; my voice hesitant as I approached him.

He glanced up from his book, his expression guarded. "I don't know what we need to talk about," he replied curtly.

I sighed, "Well, there is something, seeing as we haven't talked," I pointed out, trying to keep the frustration out of my voice.

"We are talking right now," he countered, his tone clipped and dismissive.

"You know what I mean," I insisted, my patience wearing thin.

"I used to think I knew what you meant, but recently it seems I don't," Jameson replied, his words laced with bitterness. "I need to go talk to my brother, not the one you decided to date."

His words stung like a slap in the face, leaving me reeling with a sense of hurt and confusion. As I struggled to make sense of Jameson's reaction, a familiar voice interrupted my thoughts, pulling me back to the present. It was Xander, storming into Rebecca's room with all the dramatic flair of a Hollywood actor.

"You liar!" he exclaimed, his accusation echoing off the walls.

Rebecca looked up from her book, startled by his sudden entrance. "Xander, you didn't tell me you were coming over," she said, her tone tinged with mild annoyance.

"It was very last minute when I found out about Ms. liar here," Xander replied, pointing an accusatory finger in my direction.

My heart sank at his words, knowing that my secret had been exposed. "What did I do?" I asked, my voice tinged with desperation.

"You fake-"

Xander's voice rose with each word, his frustration evident for all to see. I winced, knowing that he didn't mean to cause a scene. "Xander, quiet down. I don't need the whole world hearing," I urged him, trying to defuse the situation before it escalated further.

"Sorry," he said, lowering his voice to a more manageable level. "Your fake date my brother and expect me not to find out?"

Rebecca's eyes widened in shock, realization dawning on her face. "How did you find out!"

"Of course you knew! I thought we were a trio, apparently it's just a duo!" he exclaimed, his tone a mix of disbelief and disappointment.

"I'm sorry about that, Xander, but you are honestly the worst secret keeper," I admitted, unable to hide the hint of amusement in my voice.

He paused for a moment, considering my words. "Okay, true, but starting now, I vow to be the best secret keeper!" he declared with theatrical flair.

I couldn't help but laugh at his enthusiasm. "And I vow to not keep stuff from you," I added, feeling a sense of relief wash over me.

"Deal," Xander agreed, his expression brightening with a mischievous grin.

Rebecca looked between us, curiosity dancing in her eyes. "Now that we have Xander on our side, can you tell us how you found out?" she asked, turning her attention back to him.

But Xander simply shrugged, a knowing smile playing on his lips. "I never give away my secrets," he replied cryptically, leaving us all to wonder how he had uncovered the truth about my fake relationship with Grayson.