003. ━ inoperable tumor

Start from the beginning

"Yes," Oliver answered, his tone deadpan. "Because you remind me of that about every month or so. And it reminds me why Amy is my favorite..."

He turned around and walked down the hall in the direction that London had gone. When he found her, he noticed that she was on the phone.

"Yes, I am aware of how it looks," she was saying, starting to sound stressed. "Yes, I—I did know her—" She paused and stared at the wall. "What do you mean was I implicated in the patient's death? Wouldn't you have found that out on your own with your little hospital spies?" She sighed and combed through her brown hair nervously. "No, Dad, I just meant—" She looked at the phone. "He hung up. Oh, my God, he hung up. Why am I even surprised at this point?"

Oliver cleared his throat and London jumped at the sound, turning around quickly. "So... that phone call seemed... complicating."

"How—How much of that did you hear?" she asked, walking toward him rapidly, a small quiver laced in her voice making him furrow his brow. "How much?"

"I—Just at the part where you mentioned the patient," he replied and she nodded, starting to fidget with her fingers as she began pacing along the hallway. "What patient? Cathy Becker?"

"No one," she said immediately, shaking her head. "Nobody. It—It doesn't matter."

"But you were speaking to your father," Oliver pointed out and she bit her bottom lip. "Why would your father be so concerned about Cathy Becker's death? Unless you failed to mention that you somehow knew her."

London looked around the hallway and noticed it was empty before pulling the black-haired man into an unlocked on-call room. "Okay, look, my—my family is complicated. It's messy and—and complicated, and... I don't need to explain myself—or my phone call—to you."

"Then why are you?"

"I'm not!" she exclaimed impatiently. "I'm not explaining myself to you. I'm just... I'm asking that you don't tell anybody about the phone call that you heard me on. Especially—Especially—not Jackson."

Oliver nodded. "Well, I don't talk to any of your friends, so it won't be much of a problem."

"Promise me, Oliver!"

He looked at her when he heard the urgency in her voice. And not only was it laced with a small amount of fear, she had said his name. For the first time since they found out they were working at the same hospital.

He thought she had forgotten his name.

"I promise," he said with a nod and it seemed as though London would sink to the floor in relief. "I do. I promise."

"Thank you," she replied, only then realizing how close in proximity they were to each other. She cleared her throat and stepped away, moving to open the door to the on-call room when she paused. "Oh, did you need me for something? Or did you just happen to be walking in that hallway?"

Oliver nodded. "Oh, right. Any chance you want to switch services today?"

"Aren't you with your brother?" she asked and he nodded in response making her laugh lightly. "Not a chance."

He sighed and followed her out the door, running into her back when she stopped abruptly. He knitted his eyebrows together in confusion before following her gaze. "Oh, great."

London glanced between Oliver and Derek, quietly slipping away from them. "So, that was what you needed to do?"

Oliver rolled his eyes. "You have no room to be criticizing me," he said, walking away. "You married your one-night stand."