「 ✦Argument✦ 」

Akutagawa had taken a shower and changed into some new clothes that didn't smell like cigarettes. Now, he was just reading a book in bed as Atsushi munched away at the donut he had given him.

"What book is that?" Atsushi asked with a mouth full of donuts.

Akutagawa looked across the room at Atsushi. "Has anyone told you it's disgusting to eat on your bed? Or that it's rude to talk with your mouth full? " Atsushi shook his head 'No' before swallowing the mouthful of donut. The older one scoffed before he answered the younger one's question. "It's a book of short stories. I like them." Akutagawa wasn't quite sure why he added the fact that he likes them.

Atsushi, without a mouth full of donuts, once again spoke. "What's the one you're on right now? What is it called?"

"Why?"

"I don't know. I'm curious!" The gray-haired one exclaimed, then took his last bite of the donut.

Akutagawa didn't speak for a moment. "It's called Rashoumon. And before you ask, it's about a thief. He steals clothes off of a woman that steals hair from corpses."

"Ew! Why corpses!?" Atsushi exclaimed. "It's disrespectful and gross!"

"Mhm... I don't think you're one to talk about respect and cleanliness." Akutagawa chuckles. "And she has to make wigs to make money. She's an old, poor lady. Most people wouldn't wanna donate hair to someone that is perceived as 'dirty' by the public."

"And the clothes?"

"To teach her a lesson. You really are stupid."

"Hah?!" Atsushi stood up from his bed. "I'm not stupid!"

Akutagawa enjoyed watching Atsushi get upset. He decided he wanted to know how mad the younger one could actually get. "You're right, you're a damn fool. For all that studying you do, you can't soak up any of that knowledge!" Akutagawa laughed in Atsushi's face when he stood up from his own bed as well.

"At least I'm smart enough to not smoke something that'll kill me - or smoke at all!"

Akutagawa's eyes widened in shock. He had no business bringing it up, and that's what he told Atsushi. "You haven't any business talking about that! You have no idea what the hell I'm going through for you to say that!"

Damn it... Akutagawa has shown that he has a weakness. That was bad, in his books at least.

"Well you have no business saying I'm stupid. Plus, I'm doing you a favor by keeping you alive."

Neither of them had realized how close they actually were. Akutagawa was seething with anger.

"Who the hell said that I want to live!?" Akutagawa moved without thinking. His hand collided with Atsushi's cheek. It was until after the fact, that he realized what he'd just done.

Atsushi's face snapped to the side. "Ow... What the hell. I was just helping you..." Atsushi had just processed the fact that Akutagawa had slapped him, and hadn't really processed what Akutagawa had said. Atsushi brought up a hand to hold the stinging, red spot on his cheek.

"I-It wasn't helping if you were supporting what I didn't want. Not everyone is happy with the cards that they're dealt. Not everyone wants to live the life that they were given." Akutagawa's hand shook as he fought the urge to fight Atsushi. He wasn't even thinking of fighting Atsushi, he just wanted to hurt someone, anyone.

Atsushi looked back at Akutagawa. "Did that really mean you should slap me?"

Akutagawa knew he was in the wrong for hurting Atsushi physically. Akutagawa sighed. Atsushi's quieter tone hurt, like Atsushi was scared of him. Like he was a monster.