Chapter 1

It was actually pretty simple to get a job before the year 2099. Nowadays, nobody wants a human to work for them. Robots have replaced us all. I'm one of the lucky ones, I still have a job. The job isn't the most rewarding to say the least. I'm basically a house maid. Scrubbing floors, washing dishes, doing the laundry. Yet, my wage is minimum. Ten dollars an hour doesn't allow me to purchase the necessities I require as well as  house bills.

It wasn't always like this. I used to live with my family of hard workers. Each and every one of us would either help around the house or go to work to provide for the family. These were the earlier years where robots were out of the question for jobs. It all changed in the year, 2094. I was only sixteen years old. My parents both got fired from their jobs as robots got further developed. It was argued that robots were incredibly beneficial as they do exactly as you say and don't require payment.

Who would've thought robots could actually lead to humanity's downfall? Many joked about it in the past. I suppose that joke is no longer a laughing matter to many. Robots have ruined everything. Clearly robots don't have feelings but if they did, I'd say they are the most selfish creatures created by human beings.

"Hey Lea, have you heard about the huge program the government is setting up this year?" Mitchell, my co-worker said interrupting my thoughts. Mitchell was a fairly tan woman, with big doe brown eyes and dark lashes. Her curls fell neatly into place on her shoulders and her freckles sparked her image. I've known Mitchell since high school, although we were never relatively close.

"A program?" I questioned. "Yes, apparently you can win lots of money if you participate in it! All you need to do is sign up and play games." She replied as she folded the laundry into a neat pile. "That sounds sketchy." I said while fixing the bed sheets. "Oh come on, it's officially made by the government! I think we should trust them. Besides, how else will we even make money? We make ten dollars an hour! You know that isn't enough Lea!" Mitchell argued. As much as we both desperately needed the money, I wasn't so convinced.

I gave Mitchell a long look. "Mitchell, are you trying to get me to sign up for this program with you?" I asked. She avoided eye contact with me. "Well I mean, we do both need the money." She replied hesitantly. "I know I know, it's just..." I was cut off by a buzzing sound. It came from my purse. I reached for my purse and opened it to get my cell phone.

"What is it?" Mitchell asked with a puzzled look on her face. I looked at my phone but it had stopped buzzing by the time I gotten to it. "I'm not sure." I replied. Then, my phone started buzzing again. This time, rapidly. Each time it buzzed, the same message appeared on my screen, "YOU HAVE BEEN CHOSEN."