"Are you in love with her now?" I snapped.

"No!" He retorted with a grimace. "You know I have a girlfriend."

"So what is it about all this pity for a shewolf?!"

"I don't know. I just feel she has some connection with us. Have you tried finding out how her parents died? She said they had a car accident." He breathed, and once again, my mind flashed back to that night. I could see the faces of the man and woman that I crashed into in that car.

Could it be her parents?

There was a striking resemblance. The small lips, eyes, and pointed nose of the woman in that car were alike with those of Lena's.

"No!" I shook my head. "I am simply overthinking! It can't be."

I pushed that thought away from my mind, not wanting to accept that the girl in that room is the daughter of the family I allowed to die.

That night, after my mate rejected me, I left the house and drove far away alone, not knowing where I was headed. I was just driving at high speed and drinking while steering, even when my head was spinning.

The pain in my heart was so unbearable that every breath I took became a struggle. I kept seeing the replay of my mate's betrayal in my head, every scene like a stab to my chest.

The single thought that I was dumped and rejected like nothing really broke me. She was even in a haste to get rid of me so her boyfriend wouldn't get angry.

I got myself really drunk, not minding that I could have an accident and die for a girl that was never mine. Unfortunately, before I could bring my car to a halt and park to cool my hazy head, I collided with that car at that high speed.

It was a blast, face-to-face as I had swerved to the other lane of the road. The other car tumbled in the air and landed upside down. I wasn't hurt that much, just a few wounds on my leg and hand, but the man and woman in that car died.

They didn't die instantly, but they bled to death because I refused to help. They were bleeding profusely, calling out for my help with a piercing cry, but I ignored them.

I was pained that my mate, who was a werewolf, shattered me, so since they werewolves too, I felt they deserved to die.

It was the next day that the weight of what I did settled in my chest, consuming me with unimaginable guilt that turned to nightmares as I would keep seeing the face of the man and woman bleeding with her legs and hands jutting in an uneven direction.

I felt so bad, so hurt that it brought tears to my eyes. They did nothing to me. I caused the accident, yet I refused to save their lives. I tried hard to forget it and was gradually getting over it.

Tomorrow would make it a year since it happened, and this girl also told me tomorrow would be the memorial to her parents deaths since it's been a year.

Since she hadn't told me yet what time of day her parents had that accident, I still believed it couldn't be them. I desperately hoped that it wasn't her parents. That guilt hadn't left me, and seeing the daughter of the parents I killed would really make me feel restless again.

"You aren't saying anything ..." Jace's voice broke in, and I sighed. "Do you think it could be her parents that were in that car?" He asked slowly, as if he knew the question would irk me..

"Shut the fuck up!" I yelled, and this time it wasn't through the mind link; everyone's attention pulled towards me as I looked at Jace with a glare.

Just then, the expected tambourine, drums, and horn echoed in harmony.

My parents are back.

We all stood up in respect as the door gave way.

Both of them in their royal attire, designed with dragon embroidery, walked in majestically with bright smiles on their faces as we bowed while they waved at us.

"You don't have to bow, son, the throne will soon be yours. You will find your lover and claim the throne very soon." My mother said to me with a cheerful smile as they got close.

"My mate, Nana, is gone. I have given up on love. How many times do I have to say it." I retorted, and she chuckled, a reaction that surprised me. I had to raise my head and stare at her with my brows arched.

This would be the first time she doesn't heave a sigh of sadness and annoyance after a response like that. Even my father smiled at me.

What is going on? Have they finally accepted to leave me alone about having a wife?

They both sat on the throne and gestured for everyone to have their seat.

"I am glad to be back. To meet you all, my great people. Three days, and it felt like forever. I'm more excited that I returned with good news, and the whole journey has been sweet with my beloved wife, making it more adventurous." Kane, my father, began.

He then gestured at the messenger to give the meeting reports. Everybody listened with rapt attention except me. I don't care about the throne affairs because there is no way I will be the Lycan king since I need to fall in love and have a wife.

Nana is gone. There is no one I can love. My heart is locked, and I have forgotten what love feels like.

"Now here is the best part of the meeting. I will be saying this myself because it is about my son." A huge smile curled up his lips, and the same occurred with my mother, who also glanced at me.

I stared at each of them with a furrow formed between my brows.

"Is Nana coming back to me? Did you receive any messages from her?" I spilled out before I could hold back, and everyone looked at me in shock.

"Do you still love that bitch?!" One of the elders spat in irritation.

"No, I don't." I sighed, knowing I was lying. As much as I hated her for rejecting and toying with me, I was still ready for a second chance.

"In case you are not aware yet, Nana is pregnant with her new mate." My mother informed me, and I felt the slash of her words in my heart. I shut my eyes, heaving a mouthful of air as I swallowed the lump in my throat, pain pressing against my chest at the realization that it was actually over between us.

"I don't care about that foolish girl. She is forgotten in my life." I shrugged, maintaining a blank expression to hide the disappointment I had. I hate myself for still wanting a girl that destroyed me..