"Why are you still up?" She asks me. "Don't tell me you're still speaking to investigators?"

"I need to find who did this to you," I murmur.

The worst of the wound on her neck has healed, but I still see faint red lines and a scar from where the rope cut into her skin. The kind of anger I feel seeing her like this is different from her injury from Kayn.

This time I'm not eased by the certainty of revenge.

"It won't happen again," Sienna muses, rinsing her empty cup in the sink. "It was some opportunist killer who knew I was alone and decided to strike. I'm untouchable here."

I shake my head. We were in the most secure location possible. No one was out there accept people with a purpose. Yet, I keep the information to myself, not wanting to worry her.

"Once I have secured this person, I will relax." I roll my shoulders, trying to ease the tension my body is holding onto.

Sienna wipes her hands before turning to me. "I'm fine, Onyx...I promise."

"Is your neck feeling better?" My eyes drop to the offensive mark.

"Every part of me is feeling better." She bites down in her lower lip, her fingers tracing where the rope once cut into her skin. "Except my mind, sometimes."

I edge closer, so I'm leaning against the kitchen island directly opposite her. Her back is to the window, so she can't see the lightening flashing across the sky.

"Talk to me. Tell me what you're feeling," I prompt softly.

"The rational part of me knows it's unlikely the happen again. Yet I see an open window and I...I can't..." She breaks off, pressing her palms to her face.

It's well timed considering the violently bright flash of lightning the forks across the clouds.

"It's okay." I step forward, holding her wrists so I can pry her hands from her face, letting me see the beautiful, watery eyes as they gaze up at me. "We will work on that together."

Raising my hands, I cup either side of her face tenderly. She melts into the touch, releasing the softest sigh.

"Some part of me thinks I'm being punished for something."

"Why would you possibly need punishing?" I murmur, shaking my head at the absurdity.

She shrugs, looking anxious as she finds everywhere else to look that isn't my eyes. "I don't know. My past, secrets...something I don't know."

Tucking my fingers beneath her chin, I force her head up so she meets my eyes.

"You're not being punished for your own sins. This is because of your connection to me," I insist.

I've known Sienna for many years. I'm aware of all her secrets, of all her mistakes and regrets. This is nothing in her past she should be ashamed of, that she could expect to be punished for.

She leans forward, resting her head against my chest in a gesture that has my heart aching. It's more than just affection. She is resting on me like I'm her rock, trusting that I can harbour the emotional weight of what she is going through.

"I thought being your mistress was supposed to protect me," she mumbles into my shirt.

"I imagine it has from everyone except for Zion. He has no such boundaries." I suppress my anger with a slow exhale. I refuse to think about him right now.

Sienna slips from my arms, putting a step of space between us. She wipes a tear off her face before straightening.

"Is there any point to me being your mistress then?"

I study her face. "I like to think so."