XIX

Things changed.

After I settled in the castle, things changed.

Everything murky dark changed into a beautiful greenery. People, men and women, they started wearing more colourful clothes and a smile always lingered on their fair faces. Sun shone brightly every new morning, and the moon lit everything at night. Everybody started living in peace, they didn't worry about being beaten up again. They didn't worry about Christopher. Most of all, people accepted me. They liked me.

Morgana, Neville's mother, introduced me to the system of the Spine kingdom; how it worked, it's norms, the wants and things important to know. The prime reason was because I was going to be crowned.

And I was.

A week later from the day I landed in the room of the castle and became familiar with every citizen, there was a feeling if excitement going on inside of each one of us. Sure, there was nervousness mainly. But everyone was excited. It was because the day had finally arrived. I was to be crowned, and rule over the citizens of Spine.

Morgana ran through the corridors and pushed open the door to my room. "It is time!" She exclaimed. I turned around to give her a smile. Though I never wanted all these, everyone insisted I do.

In my room, three young girls fiddled with my gown and another two fiddled with my hair and face. They put me in an expensive pink gown whose hem touched the floor. Navy blue designs extended from below to the waist where a bow at the back was tied. It was a sleeveless gown, and I was made to wear creamy white gloves. My hair was tied in a braided bun, studded with colourful flowers. Also, to add touch, I was made to wear a glittering diamond necklace that bought extra shine to my neck. Lastly, they made me stand on shining silver pair of shoes. When I was ready, I was shinning. Like a moon shone in the night sky, like stars shone in the sky. Like the sun did. I couldn't distinguish myself. Never had I imagined myself in that position, but it was happening. Reality was difficultto believe, and I realised it then.

"You look so beautiful," Morgana said, holding the door as if she was going to fall.

A heavy blush appeared on my cheeks, "Thank You."

Soon, Morgana walked me down to the hall where I was going to be crowned. And I was nervous then. My poor heart thumped hard against the rib cage. My lips were dry, my throat was dry. Morgana left me and went to ready things further. As I stood there alone, my brain did a flashback, and I was soon lost in the past.

Amazing how the days and weeks changed. So many weird happenings took place in the past month. From a normal girl in the forest, I turned into a known princess of a kingdom that was under darkness. Sure, I have lost too much and too many in the way. But all I hoped was to forget everything. Every bad thing that took place. Slowly, I stared down at my wet hands, wet from the sweat. Magic. I smiled at how those very hands killed and saved people. Tears welled up in my eyes as Elizabeth's beautiful face flodded my brain. I wondered if the citizens and others knew about my power.

A tap on my shoulder snapped me back to reality. I turned around to see Neville standing behind me, dressed in brown breeches, and blue over coat.

"Something bothering you, princess?" He asked, smiling.

I blinked several times to keep my tears from falling, "Yes, why?" I answered.

"Anything you might want to share with me?"

"I - I was just wondering why - you know - why Christopher - he wanted to kill me." I said, looking forward. I flinched while saying aloud his name.

He chuckled, "Jealousy. Its that simple."

"Jealousy? For what?"

"You were, and are special. He wanted to rule, but fate wanted you. He was jealous that you got everything you wanted. That you were powerful, but not him." He stated.

For a second, I was shocked. "Yo - you mean," I stuttered, "You mean you know?" I asked shocked.

He smiled and nodded, "Yes, I do."

I shook my head, amazed at his response. Surely, he was different.

"Nervous, huh?" He asked again.

I nodded, "You talk to me as if I'm your friend, not a princess."

"Yes. You yourself told me not to call you princess."

"Oh," was all I could say.

Soon, the time came. Morgana took me inside the hall and everybody stood up. I managed to keep a smiling face. Walking through the aisle was the hardest. Thank goodness I did not trip.

After that, everything happened fast. The priest did some chants, asked methe vows. I did what was wanted. To be honest, it was like a marriage thing, something Eliza had once explained to me. I was still nervous when the priest asked me, "Do you promise to take care of Spine and it's citizens and work for their welfare?"

I took a deep sigh before answering, "Yes, I promise to work for the welfare of Spine and its citizens." 

Everybody clapped and cheered. I was happy to see them smiling.

Finally, the priest crowned me with my father's crown and gave me the sceptre. The crown was huge, red, and designed with gold. It shimmered when sun ray caught the gold. Beauty was the only word to describe it.

"All hail the Queen!" Someone shouted and the trumpets went on. The entire hall was blarring with music, and happiness.

And for the first time in a long time, I smiled a peaceful smile, devoid of tensions and problems. My eyes met Neville's and he gave me a thumbs up. That's when I knew it, that things were further going to change. I knew that the time had come for a change in the kingdom, and that change was I myself. It felt corny, to wonder how 'I' could be a change. But corny, weird things had become a part of my life. And I was fully aware to wait for the unexpected.

But the most important thing I knew? It was that this was not the end. This was just the beginning. The beginning of a new era, a new life. For my reign had just begun. For Annabeth Margaret René De Johnson's reign had just begun.