XVI

Riding the horse at broad daylight was better than riding in complete darkness. For once, you actually see where the horse is taking you to. And moreover, the chances of getting hit by branches and falling down were comparatively less.

Nevertheless, Elizabeth and I kept riding. It was a long ride, seemed like it'd never end. After what all happened, Eliza didn't speak to me. Not even tried once. Sure, it made me feel guilty but then, why should I? After all, I didn't call the men to our hiding place, did I? So, I didn't try back either, though I was dying to ask her questions. Questions about this Annabeth girl one of the men had called me.

Who was she? Maybe she looked like me. Maybe in the dark, they thought I was her. Maybe. . . Million - no, hundreds - of thoughts were going around my brain as the horse moved, me jumping up and down on his back. But, as much as I'd have loved a smooth ride without any disturbances, I guess Iwould never have it. A smooth ride, I mean.

After riding for maybe some three hours, I noticed Elizabeth was far front from me. Even if I was just seating on a horse's back, I felt tired. My horse was slowing down, probably because he was tired too. But the case was something else, he was not tired, he was scared.

Darkness, in that daylight, was haloing us. It was, I realised, shadows swivelling round and round around us. My horse neighed loudly, getting up on its hind legs, almost throwing me off. My heart rate, as before, started increasing rapidly. It was hammering so hard against my chest that I almost thought it was going to come out. We came to an abrupt halt after I calmed the horse. But the shadows and darkness didn't go away.

Give me yourself.

I heard a voice, a male voice calling out to me. Sweat pickled down my forehead.

Come to me.

The voice seemed as if it was just behind me. I turned around to plain darkness. No Eliza. No forest. No trees. No nothing. Everything that was present there some moments ago were gone.

Give. Me. Yourself.

The voice hissed and I felt drowsy. It was paralyzing me. Something stuck in my throat that refrained me from shouting. I gagged. A wind blew. The horse reared up on its hind legs. He galloped away. And I fell down.

My head was heavy, like someone had attacked it with something heavy.

"Eliza," I cried out a feeble help.

Help. I want help.

Something was wrong. I realised, as I sat on the ground, air didn't reach my lungs. Oh no. Breathing for me got harder and harder. My chest heaved up and down frantically, thinking in that way, it could grab oxygen. But all efforts were in vain.

I reached up to my neck, caressing in. My eyes got heavy. At that moment, when I almost lost all thoughts of living, I understood the true meaning of fear. It was in my veins, in my blood and in myself.

Die. The voice commanded, sending chills across my body. I fell down on the ground, still unable to breathe. My lips were parted. No. Still no air seeped in.

"Eliza. . ." I tried to call out but no, not a single word came out of my mouth. But then, I heard another voice. A sweet female voice. Giving me courage. To get up.

Fight back. It ordered. I say, fight.

But how could I? Tears blinded my eyes as flashbacks jolted in my brain. I could see my life replay in front of my eyes. Brain, I'd say. I saw myself playing in the woods. I saw Eliza running after me to make me eat. I saw myself getting older, prettier and more beautiful. I saw Eliza teaching me magic. I saw myself performing wonders. I saw me and Eliza fighting a dozen, dangerous men. I saw. . . I heard. . .