Rats on a Train

"Okay, guys. The next phase of your training is handling extreme climates. So we'll frost Chase, bake Bree, and submerge Adam. That's not part of the training, I just got one of those carnival dunk tanks and I can't wait to try it out. Okay, Chase, I'm setting your tube on 'Antarctic.' If it gets to be too much, just give me a sign." Davenport announced.

"Bring it!" Chase said enthusiastically. The tube began powering up.

"Hey, that's not fair. I want to be abused by weather." Leo complained to Davenport, who was clearly not having it.

"Leo, if you really want to be abused, try standing over here next to Adam's morning breath." Bree said.

"I don't have morning breath. It smells like that all day." Adam defended but it really didn't help his case.

"Leo, these guys are genetically engineered to handle these kind of climates. You're not." Donald said, dismissing any further discussion.

"I can handle extreme cold." Leo said, trying to convince him.

"Leo, you get brain freeze from chewing mint gum." Davenport said, causing Maven to chuckle.

Davenport's cellphone rings and he answers it, " What?! Well, that's terrible! I mean, that's awesome, but that's terrible! I- I gotta do something."

Then Maven noticed that Chase was still in the capsule so she went to the cyberdesk and opened it for him. He tumbled out, he looked freezing.

She grabbed a towel and put it over him, rubbing his arms to warm him. Chase smiled at the brunette girl and let her warm him.

Nobody else seemed to notice this interaction.

"What's going on? What's so terrible?" Adam questioned.

"I created the world's fastest train, but now it's speeding out of control full of highly explosive nuclonium towards downtown Welkerville!" Davenport explained.

"Well, then what was awesome?" Bree asked. "It's going like 400 miles an hour."

"Ho ho ho ho!"

"My entire career is riding or perhaps crashing on this train! I don't understand it! My design was flawless!"

"So flawless you forgot to include an emergency brake?" Leo asked, sarcasm lacing his tone.

"No. I never counted on the conductor dropping his papaya smoothie all over the controls and then jumping off the train."

"Well, if I were to build a high-speed train, the first thing I would have put in was a cup holder. Oh! And one of those bumper stickers on the back that says, 'I brake for cows.'"

"When stuff like this happens, they always blame the scientist. This is human error. Scientists don't make mistakes." Davenport said.

Then Davenport remembered Chase was still in the capsule but as he walked to the cyberdesk he saw Maven sat down next to him, warming him. "Oh! Chase, when did you get out?"

ᡣ𐭩 •。ꪆৎ ˚⋅

"The good news is, whenever I invent something, I always create a backup device to support it."

"As opposed to just building it right the first time." Chase responded to Davenport.

"Ya know, I think I liked you better frozen." Davenport retorted. "My auxiliary decelerator will stop anything— Ocean liners, freight trains, tanks, eighteen-wheelers, twelve-wheelers—"