xi.

eleven !*ೃ✧˚

eleven !
*ೃ✧˚. ❃ ˊ-

CAROLINE WAS AWOKEN by the stern call of her name. She jumped awake, frightened by the sound.

Forgetting where she was, Caroline looked around to see Coriolanus, who had also been rudely awaken.

"Mr. Snow, Ms. Ellis." Dr. Gaul spoke.

"What happened? Is it Lucy Gray?" Coriolanus asked instantly.

Caroline's brows furrowed as his question sank in. Why was knowing Lucy Gray's state his immediate concern? Shaking off the thought, she refocused on the piercing eyes before her.

"Unless you can put a leash on your deluded classmate, she might as well be dead as far as you're concerned." The woman threatened.

Dr. Gaul moved out of their way to reveal Sejanus, crouched down over Marcus' dead corpse in the arena.

A shaky breath escaped Caroline's lips, "Sejanus?"

"Bread crumbs. I believe sustenance for a fallen comrade on his final journey. A District 2 superstition. I'll work on finding the Peacekeeper he bribed to get him in, and cut out their tongue. In the meantime, I need someone to get him out right now."

"You should send Peacekeepers in." Coriolanus suggested.

"Only to have him bolt and hide like a rabbit? Felix Ravinstill is fighting for his life in the hospital, Mr. Snow. I will not have these rebels make a further mockery of my Games. Anyone sees us lose control of this arena, it might as well be sounding a horn to the districts to revolt. You choose to be friends with this radical. You want him to end the Games tonight?"

"It'll look a lot worse if the tributes kill two of us." Caroline countered.

She shrugged, "So don't let them."

"Woah, woah, woah. Caroline's not going in the arena with me, is she?"

"Yes, she must."

"No, she can get hurt. I can't have her hurt." He protested.

"Coriola―"

"Mr. Snow, both of you have to go to get him out. I will not repeat myself again. Go." Dr. Volumia Gaul ordered.

"I'll be fine." She whispered in his ear, intertwining their fingers and giving him a squeeze of assurance.

"Who knows? You get him out unscathed, I'll whisper one of your names in his father's ear. You both still want that Plinth Prize, don't you? I'll freeze the feed for an hour. I estimate that's all we have until the people notice."

.ೃ࿐

Peacekeepers escorted the two to the gate of the arena but stopped once they stepped in, letting them continue on by themselves. Coriolanus' hand flew to hers, holding it tightly.