𝚌𝚑. 06

❗this chapter contains: cursing, self-harm, violence

_._♧_._

Katerina Koroleva woke up on the floor. She had no dreams or nightmares, an unusual but refreshing experience. At least, if she did she didn't remember them. She peeled her skin from the cold ground as she sat up.

There was a plate of food sitting on the bed. She didn't know if it was breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Katerina still got up and sat down on the thin mattress to eat. However, after seeing the contents—what looked to be, a tuna sandwich, pickles, and a side of chips—she immediately pushed the tray away in disgust. She could be starving and still wouldn't eat tuna. Or pickles. Or chips. The whole plate was truly revolting.

Katerina instead stood up from the bed and walked to the bathroom. The blood from when she punched the mirror had dried against the glass. She wiped it away by wetting her fingers under the sink and rubbing the smudges away. She washed the dried blood on her knuckles, too.

In the mirror, Katerina's eyes looked red like she had been crying. Had she? She didn't know. Either way, she splashed the cold water on her face to tame the puffiness.

While drying her cheeks by wiping her forearm across her face, she heard the door open to her cell. Katerina was going to walk out and see who was there—probably guards to take her to the interrogation room—but before she could get a good look she was suddenly grabbed and thrown to the ground. She turned to pull down her attacker, but the guard caught her wrist. She paused, and then tugged it away, scowling.

One was on top of her, forcing her hands behind her back and latching handcuffs around them. There was the one that had caught her wrist. Another was standing by the door. More were probably outside.

"Not so scary, now, are you?" One of them asked, scoffing—the one standing to the side. She recognized his voice from yesterday. "Heard your daddy croaked. Probably deserved it, to be honest, if he was as much of a Russian scumbag as his daughter."

Katerina's vision blurred. Her jaw tightened. She should not react. Do not react.

Do not react. Good soldiers don't react. She was a good soldier.

Rage drowned out her thoughts. She was suddenly wrapping her legs around the guard kneeling atop her. She pulled herself upright as the guard fell back onto the ground. The canvas shoes SHIELD gave her made it much easier to put his head between her ankles and twist till she heard a snap. 

Her shoulders stung as she forced her chained hands to rotate in front of her, but she couldn't feel it anymore. She couldn't feel anything.

The guard that reacted first was met with Katerina wrapping her hands around his neck and throwing herself onto him, hooking her ankles together as she sat on his shoulders. She wrung the chain of her handcuffs against his throat and pulled back as hard as she could. The guard stumbled back into the wall, clawing at Katerina's hands.

Someone drew a gun. Katerina didn't see it. She only heard a bang and suddenly she was falling backward. The guard fell with her, too. She managed to twist her legs one way and her hands the other. His neck was snapped before it touched the ground and Katerina registered the pain from the shot.

She landed hard on her ribs, knocking the breath from her lungs. There was a dull stinging along her forearm where the bullet had grazed her. She didn't even spare the cut a glance, though. She tried to scramble up again to fight. She wanted to kill them. She was going to kill them.