Part 6 - Date

Ishan woke up late but was baffled to find he was sleeping on the bed snuggled comfortably under the duvet. He was cozy and felt pleasantly rejuvenated. He hadn't drunk at all so it was a perfect morning. Except it occurred to him that "someone" had carried him to the bed from the couch and he had slept through it.

A fleeting memory of being princess carried from the night that shall not be discussed came to his mind. He blushed. That his first reaction was to blush annoyed him. He needed to figure out things about his life. Some major things and he had run away enough.

Yet, he still felt unprepared to have this conversation with himself. He didn't even know where the conversation had to begin. The only person he would turn to for any kind of life changing conversations was the one he couldn't turn to. He hated that. He wanted his best friend back.

He was sulking, he knew he couldn't help it. He was used to getting his way. Everybody catered to him when he smiled or whined. So finding himself in a situation where he could not get out by doing either felt odd.

As if providing the necessary distraction his mother called him with a request to meet up with a family friend's daughter who was in town. It would've felt suspiciously like a blind date arrangement if he didn't know better. The girl was someone he had known when they were little. She needed some help, his mother had said but he wasn't sure with what. What help could he be of in this foreign country?

Shubman had not returned back to the room by the time Ishan was dressed and ready. He left a message that he was going out with a family friend. He didn't want Shubman to look for him or worry.

Neha was chirpier than he remembered and he had known her as a chirpy 5 year old so that was saying something. He was probably 9 or 10 at the time but always entertained her and carried her around. Most boys his age were bored by a kid that young hanging around but he always considered her a little sister he wished he had.

They sat in a cafe drinking fancy slushees catching up on the many years they had missed.

"So, where's your boyfriend?"

Neha opened her mouth in shock, eyes widened. Ishan laughed at the sight.

"How.. how do you know of him?"

"We still have common friends you know? You're not exactly discrete on Instagram"

"Damn.. but who's telling you.. I need to know"

"Listen I'm not squealing, I'm not gonna tell anyone, obviously" he took a sip of the drink and thought Shubman would like this flavor and just like that he was distracted.

"Oh earth to Ishan Kishan.."

"What happened to calling me bhaiyya" he asked offended.

Neha laughed. "I just called you bhaiya thrice but you were lost somewhere.. who is she.. or is it a he?"

He raised his eyebrows! "He?"

"Or should I have said they?" She asked sipping her drink eyeing him coolly.

"No, he is fine."

"Who he?" Ishan stared shocked that he had let her in on a secret he had held quite close to his heart.

"No one" he said shaking his head trying to ignore the image Shubman giving him an accusing look. "You tell me what's up with what's his name.. Praful.."

"We are in a long distance relationship bhaiyya" she said morosely. "It's hard. I miss him so much"

Ishan nodded commiserating, he knew long distances were hard but then he had also seen all his team mates make it work.