A Double Date

A week later, Xie Lian was sitting in the living room playing with Hong-er on the floor, both mother and child stacking blocks and seeing how high they could tower them.

Laughing as the toddler pretended to be a monster like 'Godzilla' that smacked the towers down, Xie Lian noticed the office door down the hallway open and Jun Wu emerged with a frown.

"Is something wrong?" Xie Lian asked, tilting his head slightly

Jun Wu shook his head, "Nothing, my dearest, just an annoyance. I will be back this afternoon, be ready to go out -wear something nice."

"Is Hong-er coming too?" The scrap god inquired

"No, just us." The older man said, "Xuan Ji will babysit."

Xie Lian nodded, smiling at their toddler, "Did you hear that, San Lang? You'll have a sleepover with Su-er tonight!"

That delighted the little Ghost King, babbling about getting to play with Pei Su-didi, while Jun Wu left the penthouse.

***

Hours passed and Xie Lian tried his best to make a simple lunch for them both, knowing Hong-er likely did not have Hua Cheng's iron stomach.

He ended up making steamed rice with a fried egg on top and serving it with sliced fruit, it was terribly simple but it was something he could not mess up.

The toddler did not complain, just happily eating his lunch, not even minding that the rice was slightly crunchy yet still mushy.

After lunch, Xie Lian and Hong-er packed a little red backpack for the toddler's upcoming sleepover, packing the toddler's fox and ferret plushies that he could not sleep without as well as his toothbrush and toothpaste.

"Is there anything else you want to take, baby?" The brunet asked, looking at the toy chest by the wall

Hong-er shook his head, "No, mama. Su-didi has a bunch of cool toys so I don't need to take nothin'!"

Once that was settled and the little backpack was left by the door for convenience, Xie Lian picked his toddler up and took him to the master bedroom to help him figure out what to wear.

Seeing that his husband had asked him to wear something nice, he assumed it was a fancy occasion and when he dug through his wardrobe he found mostly casual wear, but near the back he found two potential outfits.

The first was a silk white shirt that would expose his entire back that had been paired with black leather shorts while the other was a champagne-colored romper with a low neckline.

"Which one should mama wear, San Lang?" The scrap god asked

The toddler tilted his head, looking between the options, before pointing to the first.

Xie Lian smiled and put the romper away, taking out black tights to wear with the shorts since it was winter, and put it on a chair to put on later.

***

A few hours later, Jun Wu opened the front door of the penthouse after returning to this realm after an annoyance occurred in Heaven.

All of his anger washed away when he stepped inside and saw his lovely wife all dolled up and fussing over their child who had been changed into brown fuzzy onesie pajamas that had a hood that made him look like an oversized teddy bear.

Nothing was better stress relief than laying his eyes on his darling Xianle.

The brunet looked down the hallway at the sound of the door opening and smiled, "Baba's home!"