Chapter Five

Chapter Five

"I do not understand what else is there? You have taken everything from me, I have nothing else for you to take" the tiny princess stammered in confusion as she looked up at the war Prince and he stepped closer to her.

"Captain Lan, go secure the rest of the palace and make sure there are no other unexpected surprises" Tavrik commanded firmly and the other warrior nodded.

"I will make sure every nook and cranny is checked so we will not have any more surprises" the man vowed as he bowed and walked away so Fayrn was alone with the prince and the old ranger.

"Sire, this is..." The prince cut the older man off as he glared at him.

"You have caused enough trouble for me, Frost. You are dismissed..." The old man stepped forward cutting the prince short as he started to protest.

"She is..." Prince Tavrik's blade hissed from its scabbard and the old soldier stopped in his tracks. Frost may have trained the prince, but the prince's skills had long ago surpassed his master's. If they were to fight there was no way he could ever defeat the prince, even if he was still in his prime. His student's skill was uncanny and unmatched.

"Get out of my sight before you make me do something I will regret" the warrior prince snarled warningly and Frost hesitated as he glanced at the tiny princess. She was looking at him with fear etched into her beautiful young face. He could not leave her to Tavrik's mercy.

"I won't let you hurt her" he growled firmly as he rested his hand on one of the knives concealed beneath his shirt and the prince cursed as he started to raise his blade, yet the princess leapt into action.

"No! Don't hurt him!" She screeched furiously as she stepped in front of the prince's razor sharp blade and Frost froze.

"Fayrn, don't!" The ranger exclaimed in a panic as he watched the tiny Talvok princess charge the massive Shavendral prince; however, the prince moved in a blur and the woman found herself pressed against the massive man's chest with the sword pressed against her neck. Her heart raced, it felt as if it was trying to beat its way out of her chest, and she trembled; the prince's eyes flashed with surprise as he looked down at the woman. He had not expected her to charge him, most women would have fled from him.

"Don't hurt her, Tavrik!" Frost exclaimed with concern and the prince frowned at the old ranger.

"Why does this slip of a girl mean so much to you? You are called Frost for a reason..." The older warrior cut the prince off as he looked at the floor with a glare.

"If you must know, sire. She reminds me of my daughter..." Frost trailed off as he looked up at Tavrik and the prince blinked in shock.

Prince Tavrik had never known his mentor had a family. The old ranger had never mentioned them or what had happened to them. Frost had always been a ruthless killer who cared for nothing but completing his king's commands, yet here he was defying all reason to protect some slip of a Talvok woman.

Tavrik was pulled from his thoughts as his captive started to struggle against him.

"Let me go!" She screamed fiercely as she thrashed in the prince's grip and he tightened his hold, trying to keep her from cutting herself, but she fought harder.

"Damn it, ghel. Stop struggling! You could have hurt yourself!" He snarled in annoyance as he dropped the blade so the tiny woman wouldn't be cut as she fought his grip.

"Why do you care?! You are just going to kill me like the others. I know what the Shavendral do to conquered royals..." She never finished her accusation as the prince clapped a hand over her mouth, silencing her and she yelled muffled curses into his hand.