Chapter 14: Awake?

Toby's POV

Spencer's parents and Melissa cut their trip short and came home. They come and visit her everyday. The girls are here a lot, but I am here the most.

Spencer has been asleep for four days, and I am already worried. Wren keeps checking up on her, seeming extra friendly. I am on crutches, but they said it will heal soon. I sit on the side of Spencer's bed.

I take her hand in mine and kiss it. I say to her, "I know that you probably can't hear me, but I am going to talk anyways. I love you so much, I wish I could be in your place. I hope everything will be okay. The doctors say you should be good, but you still need to wake up. Please believe me when I say, I will do anything for you."

I feel her hand twitch in mine and I smile wide. She slowly opens her eyes and looks at me. I see her smile and the monitors start going crazy. Wren walks in with a nurse trailing behind him.

He says, "Good to see you are awake Spencer. I need to run some tests, then you will be free to go." She nods and he starts asking her questions about if she has pain anywhere, or if she feels weird somewhere.

Wren finally leaves and I say, "I am so happy you are awake, I don't know what I would do without you."

She says, "What happened?"

"Well, you were driving us home from the party and a semi went over the line and hit us."

"So, what are we?"

"I don't know, we haven't talked about it yet."

"We should just wait a bit. I am going to NYU soon anyways. Hey, are my parents and Melissa still in California?"

"No they came back, I am going to call them and the girls to tell them you are awake."

"Okay."

I walk out of the room and call Mrs. Hastings.

She says, "Hi Toby, how are you?"

I say, "I'm good, but Spencer just woke up if you want to come and see her."

"Oh, I'll be right over, thank you, bye."

"Bye", I say then hang up.

Next I call Emily and she says, " Hello?"

I say, "Hey Emily, Spencer just woke up."

"OH MY GOSH! I'M ON MY WAY! I'LL CALL THE OTHER GIRLS! THIS IS FANTASTIC! THANK YOU TOBY, BYE!"

"Yep, bye." I walk in and see Spencer. I say, "I'm going to go, but your parents and the girls are on their way."

She says, "Thanks Toby, I'll call you later." I walk out of there and see the Hastings rushing in.

Spencer's POV

My mom walks in and gives me a big hug. She says, "I am so sorry."

"For what?", I ask.

"For not being there, not just this summer, but for your whole life. I promised God, that if he let you live, I would be a better mother." We hug and my dad and Melissa walk in.

My dad asks, "How are you?"

I say, "Good.", and he just nods. That's it from my dad.

Melissa asks, "Could I have moment alone with Spencer?", my mom and dad leave the room. She says, "I know I was a horrible sister. I have said some mean things to you over the years. Not knowing if you were going to be okay really crushed me. I realized how much you mean to me. You surely don't have to accept it, but I want to say that I am so sorry."

She is crying and I am starting to tear up. I manage to say, "I forgive you." We hug and stay like that for what feels like hours, and it is amazing.