Thirty One. everything dies

Start from the beginning

Glenn followed suit. Mia clutched her knife and stabbed the head of a walker that came for her.

"Abraham, just wait!" Shouted Rosita.

"Mia, back up!" Maggie yelled and grabbed her arm.

"No, I'm helping!" She dismissed and jerked her arm back. She stabbed another walker in the head. Then she sliced one's throat and it fell to the ground by her feet, allowing her to stand over it and stab it through the brain.

"There's more from the back. Mia, watch out!" Glenn shouted at her.

She swiftly turned around and saw more walkers appeared from the front of the fire truck. "Seriously?" Mia huffed and held her knife again.

Eugene took the water hose and started spraying the walkers from top of the truck. Blood mixed with water on the ground and the undead creatures toppled into each other. It kept them away at the moment, the strong force breaking apart their rotting flesh and limbs. Mia blinked multiple times, shocked that it was working.

"I've been to eight county fairs and one goat rodeo. I never seen anything like that." Abraham said loudly.

Mia looked up. "Nice job, Eugene." She praised.

"Thank you, Miss Amelia." He said back with one singular nod.

"There was a Goodwill over there by the bookstore. It's pretty blown up, but there might be some supplies, some dry clothes, maybe?" Glenn suggested.

"Not necessary." Abraham denied.

Mia cringed at the wet feeling of her shoes. "Really?"

"Yes, really. I can't clear intake in two shakes." He declared and walked around to the back of the truck. "Then the engine will get some wind and so will we." They watched him walk on the roof. "You'll air-dry. We roll on." Suddenly, he started to laugh. Cackle, more like it.

Mia glanced at Rosita, looking confused. The woman looked behind her and saw the words sick inside, let them die written in red on the ground where all the dead walkers laid.

"What? This shit is screwed up!" He cackled again, his face turning as red as his hair.

Mia scratched the side of her cheek. "Maybe that toilet water's going to his head." She said out loud, earning laughs from everyone else. She backed up when he started throwing the bloody remains on the ground, making her cringe.

Again, she didn't know why she was surprised. The truck ran good for few miles when they left the town. Mia thought there was a good chance that they'd get to Washington without any problems. But then the truck broke down again. She needed to quit jinxing them. She sat inside the fire truck with Abraham, watching as he tired getting it to start again. "What was your life like before?" She uttered. She'd been wondering about him since the day they met. He was a tough man. There was a roughness to him. Mia wondered if he was born like that or forced to be like that.

Abraham paused at the question. "Why do you ask?" He wondered and continued walking around the back.

"I've been wondering. I know it's not nice to ask, but, you're an interesting guy. Just wondering if you had an interesting life."

"My old life's not important anymore, little lady." He dismissed.

"Everyone's story's important." Mia declared.

"Not mine. Believe me." Abraham continued to dodge. He glanced at her. "I'm not much for chattin'."

She hummed sarcastically. "Clearly."