Slipping and sliding, Harry ran on towards the door; he leapt over Luna, who was groaning on the floor, past Ginny, who said, "Harry — what—?" and past Ron and Hermione, who were both still unconscious.

"Harry! You're gonna get yourself killed!" Layla sprinted after him again. Ginny yelled after her in confusion but Layla was too focused on getting Harry.

Harry had wrenched open the door into the circular black hall, Layla catching up to him, and they saw Bellatrix disappearing through a door on the other side of the room; beyond her was the corridor leading back to the lifts.

Harry ran, but she had slammed the door behind her and the walls were already rotating. Once more, Layla and Harry were surrounded by streaks of blue light from the whirling candelabra.

"Where's the exit?" he shouted desperately, as the wall rumbled to a halt again. "Where's the way out?"

"Harry, stop being an absolute idiot!" Layla yelled angrily.

"Why do you care?" Harry shot back angrily, taking Layla a little bit by surprise.

"I've always cared, Harry, even if I hate you more and more each minute!" screamed Layla. "Especially after today! If you hadn't let Voldemort get inside your mind, Siri wouldn't have died! It's your fault that he did!"

"What...?" Harry froze, hurt and guilt washing over him as he stared at Layla, who immediately regretted what she'd just said.

The door right behind them suddenly flew open and the corridor towards the lifts stretched ahead of him, torch-lit and empty.

"I'm sorry you feel that way," said Harry quietly.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean th— Harry, stop!" exclaimed Layla, but Harry had already sprinted towards the door. He tried to close the door before Layla could get through but she'd reached it just in time.

Layla chased after Harry, who had swung around the corner and slammed his fist on to the button to call a second lift. It jangled and banged lower and lower; the grilles slid open and Harry dashed inside, now hammering the button marked 'Atrium'. Layla made it inside the lift just as the doors slid shut and he was rising.

"You should try harder than that if you want to get rid of me," Layla rolled her eyes. "Grow up, Harry. Revenge isn't your style."

"It is now," said Harry, forcing his way out of the lift before the grilles were fully open. Layla sighed and followed.

Bellatrix was almost at the telephone lift at the other end of the hall, but she looked back as Harry sprinted towards her and aimed another spell at him. He dodged behind the Fountain of Magical Brethren: the spell zoomed past him and towards Layla, who ducked, and it hit the wrought gold gates at the other end of the Atrium so that they rang like bells. There were no more footsteps. Bellatrix had stopped running. Harry was crouched behind the statues and had pulled Layla down beside him.

"Come out, come out, little Harry!" she called in her mock baby voice, which echoed off the polished wooden floors. "What did you come after me for, then? I thought you were here to avenge my dear cousin!"

"I am!" shouted Harry.

"Aaaaaah... did you love him, little baby Potter?"

Harry flung himself out from behind the fountain and raised his wand angrily, but no words left his mouth, causing Bellatrix to smirk.

"Aw, ickle Potter is too soft to hurt me. What a shame. All because I killed poor old Sirius Black. He had it coming."

"Harry might be soft," Layla stood up, making herself known as she shrugged. "But I'm not."