This is why he wanted us to forsaken knowledge

The Capital City of Thaw was unlike any city you could imagine. The buildings, though impressive with their towering stone and wood-carved structures, couldn't compare to the towering skyscrapers of the 21st century.

Each building had marble-paved paths with vanilla cemented edges. Inside, there was a beautiful blend of wooden brilliance and modern craftsmanship that gave it a medieval touch. The three of them walked past numerous people dressed in semi-decent clothes, nothing too fancy.

Eventually, Ariek stopped in front of a church. Its arches stood out among the surrounding buildings, with bricks forming its foundation and vines and trees artistically wrapped around it. The exquisite oak wood perfectly complemented the golden knobs on the doors and windows.

The front of the church held a bronze statue of a motherly figure lifting the newborn baby to the heavens, vines wrapped around the babies sculp, almost giving it a crown. Lana's eyes linger on the stone tablet just next to the mother's naked feet.

"And thus my baby was born. I called him the Light of the World."

"What's this statue about?" Lana asks.

Ariek wonders, then exchanges a look with Ruby.

"I don't know either."

"Well, then we have to ask Ole Samson," Ariek snickers, but there is an edge of stress in his voice. He opens the door, allowing the sunlight to flood the room, revealing an elderly man on his knees, deep in prayer. Ariek stands inside the building and gestures for the others to do the same. The old man's ears perk up.

"So, have you brought the girl?" he ask in a bewitched tone. A tone which Lana giggles in amusement by. Ariek and Ruby both stared at her with a darkened frown. Lana quickly read the mood.

"No, sir, but..."
"No?" he shouts as he rises, gaze fixed on the cross statue. "You have the audacity to appear without what I requested."
"Sir, if you allow me—"
"Silence," he interrupts, turning his weathered face, in contrast with his white robe adorned with golden accents that led up to his large, arched crown towards them.

Lana bites her lip, holding back a laugh at his resemblance to a skinny Santa Claus.
Bishop Samson notices Lana, now flushed.

"Hey. Is that girl alright? She seems to have pink eyes." Lana bursts into laughter, much to Ruby and Ariek's dismay. "Even I know that is not how pink eye works," she says, rolling on the ground. Her laughter fills the room.

"Ariek."

"Yes, sir?"

"Who is she?"

"Our captive."

"Our captive? We are the ones being held captive by her childlike outbursts. Quiet her. We will address this later." He waves a dismissive hand. Ariek takes the cue, pulls Lana along as they rush out with Ruby.

They pass a tall blonde woman with a charming yet sophisticated face, striding confidently into the church while clutching her stomach, wrapped by her vibrant crimson dress. She flashes them a warm smile before shutting the door. A loud thud echoes as Ariek, now trembling uncontrollably, tells Ruby to hush Lana. "Come on, why stress over someone like that?"

Ruby harshly steps on Lana's stomach, causing her to whimper quietly.
"You fool, pay attention." She speaks with a shaky voice, "That's Bishop Samson, the most influential figure in this town. His commands are absolute, and his casting abilities are nearly godlike." Lana finally calms down and apologizes, "What would he have done if I had continued then?" she says, not connecting the dots.

Ariek finally relaxes and locks eyes with Lana, then gestures towards a dense grove of trees arranged almost like a grid behind the church. "What do you think is growing on those trees?"
Upon closer inspection, Lana notices apples, but there's something off about them. Not only are they larger than her face, but they also emit an eerie aura. As the trees sway, faint screeching noises can be heard.

Hesitantly, Lana inquires, "What's wrong with them?" A gust of wind blows, causing twigs and leaves to pelt the golden statue, and Lana's white hair to cover her face. After the mini-typhoon subsides, Ariek finally speaks up:

"They are made out of humans."