The Bravery To Say Goodbye

Beginne am Anfang

Lan Zhan's hand automatically slides around Wei Ying's waist and gives a gentle pleading tug. Unable to deny his jade, Wei Ying returns to his husband's accepting lap with a sigh. This is the only place he feels safe anymore. No where else gives him the peace that Lan Zhan's lap provides him.

The scent of sandalwood drifts all around Wei Ying and he allows himself to sink into the enticing smell of his husband. His back comes to rest on Lan Zhan's accepting body. The steady rise and fall of his jade's chest soothes his jittery nerves as it always does until Wei Ying wants nothing more than to return to their bed so they can simply hold each other.

The talented cultivators sitting across from them carry on a silent conversation. Wei Ying begins to wonder if his request was too much to ask for. It's too late to take it back. He wouldn't even if he could. They need all the help they can get. And if that means recruiting two men they barely know then so be it. Wei Ying's always been known to take risks so why should he stop now?

Risks can be good. He took one on the summer solstice in a city where everyone hated and feared him. His wish to make the one man who wanted to kill him smile seemed simple at the time. Wei Ying never imagined that wish would lead him on the adventure of a lifetime. There was no way he could have known that one risk would bring peace between his people and the Lan Clan. He never would have guessed that one impulsive thought would bless him with a soulmate who loves him unconditionally.

Sometimes, it's the tiniest things that make the biggest difference in the world.

Wei Ying cranes his neck back and places a feathery kiss on the underside of his husband's sharp jawline. His silver eyes watch the resulting blush warm the tips of his husband's ears and smiles contendly. Just as he's reaching up to brush his thumb over Lan Zhan's plush bottom lip, Xiao Xingchen clears his throat to break the spell.

At the same time, Song Lan says, "What do you want us to do?"

Wei Ying sits up and looks back at his husband with a humorous grin plastered across his lips. Lan Zhan maintains his composure but he can see his jade fighting to keep his mask of indifference in place. Wei Ying knows they should feel happy that Song Lan and Xiao Xingchen have agreed to help them. Yet, even though they've gained two allies they've also added two people to the list of those who might lose their life if his plan falls to shit.

Taking a deep breath, Wei Ying turns his head back to the older men. At the last minute he loses his courage. He lowers his head and mumbles his answer.

"I'm sorry. Would you please say that again, Wei-gongzi?" Xiao Xingchen asks politely.

Lan Zhan pokes Wei Ying in the ribs.

Wei Ying's words squeak out. "I said how good are your dancing skills?"

Song Lan and Xiao Xingchen freeze. They don't even breathe. Wei Ying waves his hand in front of his martial uncle but Xingchen doesn't blink. Neither does his husband when Lan Zhan waves his hand once in front of Song Lan.

"Did we break them?" Wei Ying wonders in a hushed voice.

"Give them time to process." Lan Zhan encourages.

Wei Ying hates waiting. He sips the tea his husband offers him, anxious to get his plan in motion. They're quickly running out of time. If they don't act fast enough, Wen Rouhan will begin to suspect something and it will be even more difficult, if not impossible, to get inside Nightless City.

Fortunately, Song Lan had given great advice prior to the start of the fighting when he recommended a few Wei fighters take to the trees around the battlefield. They would watch for and kill any Wen soldiers trying to run back and report to the Wen Clan leader. In the end, only four Wen soldiers thought it better to run than fight and all were stopped before they left Yiling territory.