A Hero's First Love - Chapter 1

Start from the beginning

As we got out of the toll gate, I looked outside the car window, gazing into the patches of trees surrounded by the asphalted roads, trying to recognize their species from afar. Narra.

This guess the plant species game is my favorite, thanks to my plant-loving dad, who gave me tidbits of information about plants as we guess their species. We kept a small garden in our home, which I now take care of in his memory.

It's also the reason I took up Biology as a degree, despite my mom's attempts to force me to take up History. It was a long, arduous battle that I barely won, which ended up with my mom and I not talking for a week.

Mom says that taking up History will be a good way to continue our family legacy and also a way for me to honor the memory of dad, who made it his dying wish for us to be one of the managers of the Katigbak ancestral house.

This is where I don't understand this tradition. Sure, I can lend a hand in taking care of the ancestral house, but can't I do it by just paying workers to do repairs and do the tours for me? Why do I have to personally be the one managing the ancestral house-turned-museum?

What good is it to be proud of my great grandmother times several generations, who only went down to history as Rizal's first love? I don't see how it can be a deed done in honor of my deceased father, who has no connection to that house aside from our lineage.

Meanwhile, I see Biology as something closer to dad because it was something personal to me, something intimate, something we both shared before.

"What's on your mind, anak? You were so lost in your thoughts," mom said while not taking her eyes off the road.

"Why can't our other relatives be the ones to take care of the ancestral house? Why does it have to be us, mom?"

Upon hearing this, my mom suddenly hit the break, causing us to lean over. Our old thermos bottle containing our coffee toppled over, too, causing most of the contents to spill. Then, almost immediately, the scent of coffee overpowered my mom's air freshener. I tried to put it upright to salvage what I could, but it was too late.

"These drivers should have their licenses revoked," mom said in an annoyed tone. "We could've crashed onto them! Are you okay, anak?"

I nodded while watching my mom continue her rants about reckless drivers in the expressway.

*****

"You have reached your destination," my mom's navigation app on her Samsung Galaxy S5 announced, finally putting an end to my mom's rants about other drivers or pedestrians.

My mom put the car into hazard mode and urged me to come outside and bring our packed meals. "You won't be coming with me inside, mom?" I asked as I stepped outside the car.

"It's already 7:45 AM; Ate Lucing expects us to arrive by 8 AM. Just go first and meet her; I'll be there in a while. I need my morning coffee fix, so I'll go to the nearest coffee shop here. Want me to get you something?"

"I'll have a Spanish latte in their largest size, mom! Thanks."

I closed the door, and she drove off.

I turned around and saw the majesty of a house made of stone and wood, a large dwelling that seemingly existed where time was at a standstill. The huge house stood tall against other structures that were undoubtedly modern compared to its design, and its name, "Casa De Segunda," was proudly etched in a metal frame placed on top of the unvarnished wooden gates.

I looked around, trying to locate the doorbell, as I didn't have Ate Lucing's number. It was mom who was in contact with her. Weirdly, there was none, and no one was there for me to ask. I texted my mom, but I knew it would take long before she replied.