i. tests & restless nights

Start from the beginning

     More thunder cracked. Another groan.

     Her head sharply turned to the left toward Paul's room. Her body was suddenly cold and rigid.

     Oh no.

     Sprinting, she threw open his mahogany dark wood door making it slam into the back wall. There in rumpled sheets lay the source. His limbs are tangled in his blanket as he thrashes around in his bed, his face scrunched up in an expression of pure anguish. Wild brown curls surround him like a halo while the moonlight shines on his pale skin. He looked like an angel. A fallen angel.

     "Paul," she mumbled, letting the dagger slip from her hands.

     He stirred in his bed, letting out another low groan.

     Rushing to his side, Noa dropped to her knees and cradled his face scanning the rest of body. Just in case.

     "Paul!" Noa repeated.

     He bolted up abruptly making her hands fall onto the bed. He's panting as he looked around frantically before resting his eyes on her. His expression softens.

     "Noa?" His voice is raspier than normal due to the hours of restless sleep.

     "It's okay, it's okay," she cooed. Her face is filled with concern as she brushed away some of his wild hair out of his face. "I'm here."

     He sighs out the majority of the tension built up, rubbing his face from sleep with his trembling hands.

     "More visions?" Noa's voice is so soft it tickles his ears creating a blanket of comfort. He didn't understand how a strong warrior could possess such a comforting voice. However, she never failed to make his worries disappear — not with a voice like that.

     He could only nod.

     "Do you wish to talk about it?" Noa arose from her spot on the floor to sit on the side of his bed making them at eye level and in closer proximity. His eyes are slightly glossed over, and he's avoiding eye contact as if he's embarrassed.

     "No," he looked down in his lap before locking eyes with her, "I thought you were on your trip?"

     Noa shook her head, "I came home early."

     Home. Her saying it so casually made a foreign feeling burn in the pit of Paul's stomach.

     "I missed you," he whispered. His words hang in the air like a forbidden secret. Well, it was forbidden seeing as the relationship between the two of them was meant to be strictly professional. However, the two managed to lay in the thin layer of gray area pertaining to the matter.

     Noa could only turn her head away bashfully choosing to stare out the window in response. She hated how he'd say things like that in random moments. More so, she hated how much her cheeks would turn warm and her lips would scrunch to the corner of her face showcasing a deep dimple in the apple of her cheeks. The rain was still coming down harder without any plans to stop for the night.

     The boy grabbed her chin with his pointer finger and thumb and redirected her attention to his face. She could only look down at her lap before eventually looking into his eyes, an unreadable expression adorned his face.