Chapter Ten- When New Fears Appear

Start from the beginning

"You're not working hard enough."

I turned to my right to see my adoptive father standing in the distance, his arms across his chest.

"You've given up!" He said, shouting and walking towards me.

I gritted my teeth, "No, I haven't-"

"Yes you have! I see it in your eyes!"

"I haven't Dad!"

He stopped right next to me, is presence intimidating me.

"Than prove it. Show me your worth my position when I retire."

I remembered this event. This happened when I was fourteen, when my dad was hammering me on getting my stances right. He was trying to model me into the perfect Dauntless soldier. I took a stance and started to punch the bag, making it swing more and more each time.

"That's not good enough!"

I swung harder, trying to make it swing more and more.

"Fighting like that you might as well join the Factionless!"

I didn't stop fighting or kicking. I wanted to show him that I had been working hard. That I wanted the position of leader of the faction when he retired. I wanted him to be proud of me.

"Be more aggressive! This is a disappointment!"

I was finally fed up and my breathing became heavy. I swung a hard right kick at the punching bag, knocking the whole scaffolding over.

"Good job," I heard Lucas say from behind me.

I turned around, seeing Lucas standing at my front door.

The training room suddenly turned white and modeled my apartment back in the Special Corps compound. It seemed oddly familiar to the occasion when I had to assassinate a Factionless gang leader who was planning an attack against Erudite.

I was standing near my black, leather couch and black coffee table.

"What's wrong?" Lucas asked, walking over to me in concern.

Lucas was in his Dauntless uniform, except he had taken off his gunbelt and knife holster that was originally on his thigh.

"I guess the mission kind of shook me up," I said, making up something to keep the situation going.

Lucas sighed, putting two hands on my shoulders. By now we were really close to each other.

"Sh, it's okay. He had it coming," Lucas whispered against my lips before kissing me.

This isn't right.

Before I could pull away on my own, Lucas had made his way down to my neck, leaving light kisses. His hands moved from my shoulders to the zipper of my jacket. I slapped his hands away before he could do anything.

"No," I said, attempting to walk away.

A dark look suddenly came over his face. Before I could fully turn around, he grabbed my shoulders once again and pushed me down on the couch, while quickly straddling my hips. His hands went to my arms and put them over my head.

"You're mine now, Adelaide. I will make you forget about him," was all he said before going back to kissing my neck.

Who was he talking about?

I quickly studied the room to look for any clues on who he was talking about. As I scanned, I saw a photo framed on my desk as Lucas was unzipping my jacket.