Jack of All Traits (PvZ Oneshot)

He didn't remember much about his past, truth be told. Nor did he want to remember, either. Outside his one friend, it had not been pretty. Anansi tried not to think too much about it since it only brought up bad memories.

Still, if there were some highlights he was asked to mention, it would probably be fiction and cryptid news. His interest in the supernatural had grown with every news article he pored over, every book he consumed, heck he even began playing games with supernatural elements even if some scared him ****less. Anansi found himself morbidly fascinated by that world, which no one wanted to admit existed, yet still did. It was what led him to consume everything and make his own speculations. New Zealand didn't have any famous ones like the US or other strange-rich countries, but he loved every second of hunting down those cryptids and eventually discovering if they were real or not.

(His exploits would have led him to meet the Xplorers earlier, had his family not burnt the letters not unlike a famous movie seen in the past.)

But of course, back then, he was a she, and man, he hated it so badly. Even if New Zealand was open to it, they weren't and made sure to highlight it to him every single day.

"YOU ARE A GIRL. YOU WILL REMAIN A GIRL. ACCEPT IT."

****, his school life hadn't been the best either. The only good thing that came from it? Whetū. Hands down, it was Whetū Wairua. The kindest spitfire he had had the pleasure of knowing, and was still honored to know.

(In the future, when asked, "Will you take her hand in marriage?" nothing stopped him from saying, "Of course, a million years and never looking back, I take her hand."

The groups, mixed from different multiverses, cheered as they kissed passionately under the waxing moon.)

Still, when he got the email inviting him on a scholarship to a well-known supernatural university, he had taken it fast. After all, why wouldn't he? It also provided him a chance to detach from his family, and the university had been the one to help him, to "disown" him from their grabby claws. He was eternally grateful for their help.

His life truly began after he graduated and became a world renowned author, though. Anansi wanted to retreat to a lesser known neighborhood to live quietly and peacefully. He hadn't expected himself to get sucked into a curse begun by the rivalry of a crazy man (he still didn't get the best vibe about Crazy Dave...) and Dr. Zomboss. He had just moved in, and just needed a place to work on his stories! 

But then, he met Peashooter and Sunflower, and well, as things went, he found himself connecting with them. He loved all his friends, and they had worked together numerous times to stop Dr. Zomboss. Plus, maybe the thrill of hunting cryptids never faded away. For some reason, he was able to see things... differently. He didn't know how or why this was the case, but it helped him strategise and win. Even if he ended up time traveling, well, that was how life was, and Anansi liked taking the reins of his life for the most part. 

Once that all settled down, though, he got a letter. One that invited him to China to meet an esteemed supernatural biologist like himself, and that, well, turned out his son had gotten a letter. That was how he got to meet Luo Fei and his friends. 

Truth be told, Anansi loved the kids. Luo Fei was hotheaded but he cared a lot. Yan Sheng was just as reckless, even if he did also have a great mind for strategy. Ling Xi was a wonderful spitfire and reminded him so bad of Whetū. Tian Heng... wow, he was a tsundere for real. And Hao Lei was cute and a sunshine. Their friends were definitely cute too. Song Ka thought with his heart, Ya Li was much more methodical, Mu Lan was a sweet heart who was definitely great at thinking, Xiao Kui was shy and adorable, Cao Ben Zai was the same, Da Shan was a baby, and Tie Mu was the only brain cell in that group. Definitely an oddball group. But hey, Anansi didn't mind! 

Anyhow, it balanced out with his own side-job. The X-plorers had recruited him after they had first met the people at Cho-Taiyo, and he had had the pleasure of meeting Team Battlecor.

Of course, all beginnings with a team were rough, and Anansi was okay with working with the plants. Not with aliens who had apparently once worked with some dude named Lokar? That was the dumbest name he had heard and HE used to be named Jingyi. But they had been caught causing chaos and needed someone to make sure they were not going to do anything like that. 

Why they thought Anansi was the best for that, especially for a team that was meant to keep plants safe when apparently the three didn't use to care for anything but Kairu battles (he HAD heard legends of it, but he didn't expect them to actually exist.), he would never get. But he HAD tried his best, and Anansi finally scored when he noticed them playing some Space ball or something. He had asked to learn, and they had been brutal, but hey, it was really fun and he enjoyed how they had grinned for the first time with sincerity.

The first foundations for their team work truly bloomed when they came up against some team called Team Ratticor with that disgusting dude in charge. Man, did he have an attitude that made Anansi want to punt him across the sea. But it was him standing up for them when he insulted them that made Battlecor really change up their tune, apparently. "No one had ever really come to our defense before..." Silas had told him. "Even  when we were working under Lokar... you highlighted each and every one of us and that... felt nice." 

It was how they slowly but surely worked on their attitudes, even doing community work around the base. Anansi was really proud how his team had grown.

Even now, as he prepared to head to Cho-Taiyo for Halloween, he felt proud of how he had shaped himself. He was ready to step into this new time of his life, with the love of his life by his side and his new friends. 

Still, he did wonder how Yang Wang had gained those plants during December...