1.8 The Talking, Mind Reading Hat

(Professor McGonagall leads everyone through two large doors which go to the Great Hall, where there are four long tables with thousands of students, as well as floating candles. The roof appears to be the sky.)

Hermione: It's not real, the ceiling. It's just bewitched to look like the night sky. I read about it in Hogwarts: A History.

"Lily said the same thing during our sorting" Alice said with a smile while shaking her head fondly.

(McGonagall leads the first years to the front where the Sorting Hat lies on the stool.)

McGonagall: All right, will you wait along here, please? Now, before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words.

(Dumbledore rises from the main table.)

Dumbledore: I have a few start-of-term notices I wish to announce. The first years, please note that the Dark Forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch, (shows a ragged old man, called Mr. Argus Filch, with his cat with red eyes, called Mrs. Norris.) has asked me to remind you that the third-floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you. (He sits back down)

"That speech definitely DID NOT pique my curiosity" Juniper said. Harry shakes his head at her.

McGonagall: When I call your name, you will come forth. I shall place the sorting hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your houses. Hermione Granger.

Hermione: (to herself) Oh, no. Okay, relax. (She goes up)

Ron: Mental, that one, I'm telling you.

"RON!"

"Sorry 'Mione"

(Harry nods in agreement. Juniper side-eyes them. Hermione sits on the stool and McGonagall places the sorting hat on her head)

Sorting Hat: Ah, right then... hmm... right. Okay. Gryffindor!

(The students cheer; Hermione jumps off with a smile.)

McGonagall: Draco Malfoy

(Draco saunters up proudly. The tattered hat nearly freaks before touching down on Draco's head.)

Sorting Hat: Slytherin!

(The students cheer, not as loudly)

Ron: There isn't a witch or wizard who went bad who wasn't in Slytherin.

McGonagall: Susan Bones

(A small redhead, named Susan Bones, walks up to the Sorting Hat. Harry looks around and notices a black greasy haired, pale man, called Severus Snape, giving him sinister looks. His scar hurts.)

Harry: Ahh! (puts his hand on his forehead in pain)

Ron and Juniper: Harry, what is it?

(Ron and Juniper slowly look at each other)

Juniper: Maybe we're the twins. I mean. We have the hair.

Ron: Bloody hell

(They look back at Harry)

Harry: It's nothing, I'm fine

Sorting Hat: Let's see... I know! Hufflepuff!

McGonagall: Ronald Weasley.

(Ron gulps and walks up. He sits down and the hat is put on.)

Sorting Hat: Ha! Another Weasley. I know just what to do with you. Gryffindor!

(The students cheer as Ron sighs in relief.)

McGonagall: Harry Potter

(Everything goes silent. Harry walks up and sits down on the stool. The Sorting Hat is placed on his head.)

Sorting Hat: Hmm... difficult, very difficult. Plenty of courage, I see. Not a bad mind, either. There's talent, oh, yes. And a thirst to prove yourself. But where to put you?

Harry: (whispering to the hat) Not Slytherin, not Slytherin!

Sorting Hat: Not Slytherin, eh? Are you sure? You could be great, you know. It's all here, in your head. And Slytherin will help you on the way to greatness! There's no doubt about that. No?

Harry: (still whispering) Please, not Slytherin... anything but Slytherin.

Sorting Hat: Well, if you're sure. Better be... GRYFFINDOR!

(There is an immense cheering and Harry gets sent to the Gryffindor table.)

Fred and George: We got Potter! We got Potter!

(Harry sits down at the table. He looks at Dumbledore, who lifts up his goblet and slightly waves it, as if he was wishing congratulations.)

"You were almost a Slytherin?" Draco asks.

"Yup" Harry replies. Juniper smirks.

McGonagall: Juniper Potter

(Juniper walks up to the stool, the hat is placed on her head)

Sorting Hat: My My aren't you interesting. This mind is made for Slytherin.

Juniper: Please don't put me in Slytherin, I want to be with my brother.

Sorting Hat: You will create a catastrophe. Very well... GRYFFINDOR!

(The hall cheers even more. Gryffindor has both Potters)

"And you ARE a Slytherin" Draco says.

"A snake in the lions den" Juniper says