Chapter 2

Two days later Nathan and I were sitting in the yard as he was telling me of his time in school and some of the shit, he and his friends would get up to at the parties he would throw when a guard approached us.

"Sean Diaz, the warden wants to see you." he gruffly said before motioning for me to get up.

"Um, okay." I send a shocked look to Nathan who simply shrugs back. "What does he want to see me for?" I enquire.

"Don't know. Don't care." Was the only reply given.

I got up and followed the guard to the warden's office. The guard knocked and we heard, just a minute. We both shuffled awkwardly for a couple of minutes as I tried to figure out why the warden would need to see me.

"Come in." came a muffled voice from inside. The guard opened the door.

"In." he said to me. Such a friendly manner.

I entered the room, looking around to see the warden behind his desk, as well as two other people sitting in chairs around the desk.

"Ah, Sean. Thank you for joining us." I had to hold in a snort, like I had a choice in the matter. I nodded in acknowledgement. "Please, sit." He motions to the only available chair. I walk over and sit. "This is Mr Kirkman and Dr Birkensire. Mr Kirkman runs an organisation that helps underprivileged people who need specialist care or assistance, and Dr Birkensire is an ocularist, which is a doctor specialising in prosthetic eyes." I shoot a look at the Dr.

"Due to a petition, we received at our office, signed by a large number of people as well as some upstanding community members, our organisation has decided to lend our support to secure you a prosthetic eye." Mr Kirkman explained after he saw my confused face.

"We are here today to go through your options and discuss the next steps." Dr Birkensire added.

We spent close to an hour going through the procedure of implanting the prosthetic and then going through the options of what type would suit me best. I had no idea there were so many choices in eyes out there. I just assumed it would be as simple as matching my eye colour, but there are many, many different designs from normal to black and white, to cool colours like violet and gold and neon, to more elaborate ones that look like diamonds, glitter, and gemstones. I even saw one who had his prosthetic have his team's logo on it! I had been without an eye for a while now, so I was not that fussed about what eye I wanted to get. I didn't really like the idea of going through a long colour matching process, so I just opted for white. I felt guilty about getting anything too expensive even if the grant allowed a little wiggle room. The warden advised the first appointment will be in a couple of weeks to allow the materials and prosthetic to be ready.

I arrived back to the common area just before dinner and was immediately jumped on by Nathan. He couldn't wait to find out what the meeting was about and why it took so long.

"Wait, wait wait," he started after a brief explanation, "you're getting a cool, kickass eye?!"

"It's just an eye Nathan." I answer, smirking at his excitement.

"JUST AN EYE? DUDE! This is big! You have some big ass supporters out there, man."

I look down shyly. "Maybe." I look up when I hear a snort from him.

"No maybe about it. So, is it just going to be normal?"

"Dude, you have no idea what sort of looks are out there. I saw one that had an iris made out of 24 carat gold. Another looked like a galaxy, another made the whole eye look like a diamond."

"No way!" Nathan breathed, "that is awesome. So, what did you choose?"

"White."

"What?"