This feeling was not shared by most, however nothing he said would dissuade people from betting on a big pay-out. Nonetheless, Edward found it deplorable to find these men watching the machines chew through rolls of paper so intently. Why not catch up at a later time?

He ignored the men even when one said, "Same numbers all day."

Since his sore cheek was stinging, he thought some gin and tonic would set things right. The barrister wandered until he came across a piano bar and was lured inside by the voice of a siren. The music was enchanting and her voice served as a catalyst that set his curiosity aflame.

He made his way to the bar and Edward recognised the bartender on duty as being one of them. The singer might have been one as well but that was inconsequential to satiating his immediate desires. He turned and saw how the room was for the most part deserted save for a few others.

"The voice and beauty of an angel," he said to the bartender.

"Yes, she is quite a dame," the bartender replied. "What can I get for you Master Locke," the man asked.

Most of the staff knew him by name even if they had never met. Edward knew of this one, although mostly by reputation since he was always around when something had gone off the rails.

"Gin and tonic please," the barrister replied.

Normally this part of the hotel did not serve food. However, Edward figured they could be coaxed into bending the rules.

"Have any sway with room service? I would love a steak," he said after he palmed a few bills onto the counter.

"I don't see why not," Cecil said before asking, "Anything in mind?"

"Brass rail New York cut sirloin," he said while imagining the smell of this precisely prepared meal. "Medium," he added before turning his attention to the signer.

Cecil did not reply, no need. He quickly prepared the Gin and Tonic before he got on the blower.

Edward was more than happy to watch the siren sing while he waited. With drink in hand, he took a sip and watched as blood washed back into the glass. Looks like this time he had bitten down a bit too hard.

The singer leaned against the grand piano with one leg ahead of the other to showcase her silky smooth legs. All part of the show Edward thought, but he found it difficult to keep from getting slack jawed.

Edward wondered how they could stare at you and make a hardened criminal's heart melt. He witnessed this behaviour before and assumed this siren was toning it down tonight.

Still it was nice to just sit back and enjoy the show. A bit like finding his way into an opium den to kick the gong around. My, what a charming language the youth developed in an attempt to differentiate themselves from their elders.

In the distance, Edward heard a loud crash and figured it was the sound of a vase shattering. He would have paid no heed if the singer's face had not flickered. Without interrupting her song, the creature's head had turned to investigate then returned to its original position. Edward wondered if she heard sounds more acutely than he did, a shame that asking was out of the question.

"That takes talent," he said in between sips; by now the drink had taken on a pink hue.

"Yes, she is a spectacular performer sir," the bartender said.

Edward knew the bartender was playing coy, but would not push the matter further. In the background the cacophony grew in intensity. The barrister was unsure on what was going on, but it sounded like a riot. People were shouting, and that was accompanied by the sounds of furniture being smashed. Was his imagination running away on him? The fact that even this siren missed a note in reaction to the commotion outside meant it was likely not the case.