3

Silverbell stands up and flies to the bedroom doors. "You need some rest... I'm returning to His Majesty."

My tongue tumbles over my words as he leaves. "Wait, but—Silverbell! I need—"

Silverbell slams the doors shut in front of my face.

"I need to go outside," I finish my sentence and my head crashes into a pillow. I close my eyes and sigh, hoping I'll sleep these overwhelming feelings off.

What do I do now? Should I sneak out of the palace?

Maybe Elder Faerie has palace guards roaming around the palace. Either way, White Lily is out there and I want to help her. Not just her, but the Faeries and the Silver Tree Knights.

I have to get out of this palace.

I get up from the bed and swallow my violent coughs whenever I get the urge. I have to remain silent so I don't get sent back.

I creak open the bedroom doors and peek outside. At first, I thought one of the palace guards would see me, but now, I don't see many of them inside. Correction—none of them are inside. Maybe because of the Silver Tree.

White Lily.

Oh, White Lily. I'm worried about her to the point my stomach knots.

I shake my head, reminding myself to stay focused.

I tiptoe out of the bedroom and gently close the doors behind me. It hardly makes a sound once they close.

A violent cough booms across the hallway, startling me. I nearly tumble the Silver Knight's armor next to me and it wobbles, threatening to clang on the ground.

A Cookie with common sense may return to the bedroom. For me, it's too late. I hear Faerie wings fluttering across the hallway, heading to the silver staircase nearby. If I return to the bedroom, the doors will slam loudly. It will be obvious I tried to sneak out.

I recognize the fluttering sounds when they get close enough. It's Silverbell. I heard it flutter several times before.

I am going to get caught.

The earthbread-shattering coughs remind me of the urge to cough as well. My hand shoots to my mouth, muffling my coughs as the fluttering wings get closer.

As expected, it was Silverbell. He flies down the silver staircase, and soon, he'll spot me outside my bedroom. I wonder why he is heading outside... wasn't he supposed to stay with Elder Faerie?

I tiptoe out of Silverbell's sight, my hand still covering my mouth. The flutters fade and eventually, disappear.

That was close.

I must follow Silverbell to get out of the Silver Palace, but I don't want to get caught and sent back to the bedroom.

Another cough from earlier booms across the hallway, and it sounds familiar.

It's Elder Faerie!

I don't have anywhere to go and I can't return to my bedroom. Perhaps I'll stay with Elder Faerie, now that Silverbell left. I follow Elder Faerie's coughs in hopes of finding where he is.

After following the earthbread-shattering coughs, I end up in front of a grand bedroom—I could tell from the doors. They are silver and floor-to-ceiling tall. A gigantic Silver Tree is carved across the doors.

This is it.

I gently open the door and peek inside, searching for any sight of Elder Faerie.

I spot him resting on a grand bed with a miserable look. I open the doors even wider and step inside the bedroom.