Chapter 5: Paired together

As the teacher announced the pairs, Ishani's heart sank when she heard her name being paired with Kabir.

She couldn't believe her ears as she glanced at Siya with wide eyes, unable to comprehend the situation.

Siya too gave her the same look, both of them sharing a moment of disbelief and concern. Ishani felt a knot forming in her stomach, realizing she would have to work with Kabir, the very person who had been showing a peculiar interest in her lately.

Siya's eyes widened as she scanned the room and caught sight of Kabir sitting in his usual spot, his gaze fixed on Ishani with a smirk playing on his lips.

With a mixture of surprise and concern, she turned to Ishani and whispered about Kabir. Startled, Ishani shifted her gaze towards Kabir, feeling a strange mix of curiosity and unease.

As Ishani's eyes met Kabir's across the room, there was an inexplicable spark in his eyes, igniting a flicker of something unfamiliar yet enticing.

Ishani's heart quickened its pace, a sudden rush of uncertainty flooding her senses. Hastily, she averted her gaze, unable to withstand the weight of his stare any longer.

With a stern tone, the teacher declared that starting from the evening class, all students would be required to sit according to their assigned pairings. The announcement sent ripples of apprehension through the classroom, signaling a shift in dynamics.

After informing the students about the new seating arrangement for the evening class, the teacher added another piece of important information: the submission date for the assignment would be the day after Holi.

This announcement added a layer of urgency to the festive atmosphere, reminding everyone that amidst the celebration, academic responsibilities still loomed large.

As the teacher finished delivering all the necessary information, Siya and Ishani huddled together to discuss the time limit for the assignment. Their conversation revealed a sense of urgency and concern as they realized they only had two weeks to complete their task.

Ishani and Siya's discussion was abruptly interrupted by the sudden appearance of Riya. With a loud splash of her hands on their table, Riya's presence demanded attention.

Riya the girl who is considered as the hottest among all the girls in the college. All the boys try so hard to get her attention but she likes kabir because he is famous in the college and handsome.

She cast a furious gaze at Ishani, her expression a mix of anger and resentment. With a pointed tone, she warned Ishani not to get too comfortable, emphasizing that Kabir was her assigned partner for the assignment.

Ishani, lost in her thoughts and taken aback by Riya's sudden outburst, found herself unable to respond. She simply gazed at Riya, her expression puzzled and somewhat apprehensive.

Sensing Ishani's silence as an act of innocence, Riya leaned in closer to Ishani, her voice lowering into a menacing whisper.

"Stop acting innocent, Ishani. Is this how you attract boys? By playing the innocent card?" Her words dripped with disdain.

"I'm warning you, Ishani. Stay away from Kabir. He's mine not yet but soon, so don't get too involved."

Siya burst out of her chair, her anger boiling over. "Shut up, Riya!" she exclaimed, her voice ringing through the classroom. "Kabir isn't some saint or kid that anyone will take him by acting."

"If Kabir doesn't give you any attention then it's not Ishani's fault. Ishani has nothing to do with both you and your dream boyfriend."

The tension in the air thickened as the confrontation escalated. Ishani could feel the weight of Siya's words and Riya's fury swirling around her, unsure of how to react in the midst of their clash.