Introduction

Maddie

So, when I was young, I loved to play basketball. I loved it so much I played for 2 years on the girl's rep travelling team. But I loved playing for fun more than I loved being super competitive, so in Grade eight I switched back to house league. Plus, I would have moved up a division playing with older girls who were really good, I however wasn't. As much as my two years in rep were fun and memorable, my last year playing was the most memorable. I was placed on a co-ed team with a female coach who was all about equality, which meant the boys had to pass to the girls or they were benched. The boys did not like that very much. Especially these 2 cousins, they both played rep ball too, and for some reason also played in the house league. It seemed a bit weird, but they were good which made our team good. It also made me want to be better, I wanted to show them anything a boy can do I can do better. There was this one game we played where I was so mad because they were not passing the ball to me, I wanted the ball so badly it forced me to go after it for myself. While thinking back was actually a good thing for me, it wasn't; however for the poor boy who I chased down on the court, trying to get the ball from him, we ended up in a fight over the ball. I was relentless, this boy thought he was so good, and I just wanted to prove to all the boys I was equally as good. I can remember whipping him around my body as I kept my feet planted, I ended up whipping him to the ground then the ref came to call a jump ball, but we had to have a time out because the kid was crying, I guess I hurt him. When I went to the bench though both Brent and Tyler (the cousins) gave me a pat on the back and said 'That was awesome' I guess I earned some sort of respect from them because they started passing to me, at practices they would help me with my layups and would choose me on their team when we would scrimmage. I felt like I was part of the cool kids or the talented kids, either way I was so happy. It also gave me the opportunity to include the other girls on my team, helping them with plays and making passes so they would get some action during the games.

There was this one practice though that I remember like it happened yesterday and not 10 years ago. It was the end of practice. We were scrimmaging Brent and Tyler picked the teams like they always did, Brent picked me to be on his team this time. Normally Brent and Tyler cover each other but this particular practice, Coach told me to cover Tyler to give myself a challenge. Tyler thought it was funny. I remember him making some comment like this should be easy. It made my blood boil, made me want to beat him so badly and by some miracle I was able to stay on him like glue. My defense was strong, my speed was on point. He always would bring the ball up the court and as soon as he crossed the line I was in his face. The downfall when I was on offense, he too was glued to me. This one play happened all so quickly he was bringing the ball down the court; I went to take the ball and we ended up in a fight over it. The next thing I know he bit me. Like I mean chopped down on my bicep, left teeth marks and everything. I was so mad; I shoved my shoulder into him then let go of the ball. I remember looking at him and yelling "what the hell?", while he smiled at me like it was funny. None of that was funny to me. Our coach called the game after that. He went into the hallway with his cousins, but I was fierce back then and I did not let boys get away with anything. I remember storming into the hallway to give Tyler a piece of my mind. When I went into the hallway the boys went silent.

"What the hell was that Tyler, who bites someone during a freaking scrimmage?" I yell at him.

Tyler smiles at me and suddenly I'm not so mad at him. I didn't understand why back then.

"Whatever it takes, I'm not losing to a girl." He answers me laughing

Squaring my shoulders and narrowing my eyes at only Tyler I replied "too bad you couldn't beat me fair and square, instead you had to bite me to win." At that point I was livid and ready to kill him. I didn't even wait for his response, I stormed away back to the gym. Who did he think he was, I was ready to prove him wrong, prove to him girls are freaking way better than boys. I picked up my ball and started doing layups waiting for my dad to pick me up. Guess who came to do the same thing at the same basket. I remember thinking seriously there are 5 other basketball nets you could share. Why mine? But he was all smiles, laughs and making these weird noises every time he would come near me. This was the beginning to the end of me. My dad came to pick me up and I asked him when we were in the car 'why are boys so annoying, this boy on my team thinks he is so good and it irritates me.' I went into the entire story and showed Dad my arm. Dad just reminded me I am also great at the game and then said 4 simple words that had me look at Tyler differently for the rest of the season "Maybe he likes you."