Chapter 7: Escape

*to clear things up, Theta is the medical officer*

"Why the hell is she not awake? It's been a week!" Gabriel yelled at his Theta, who had his head held down slightly. Gabriel hasn't left the room since he brought Sam here. Sam looked pale and lifeless; her usual blood-red lipstick had been taken off, leaving them a pale pink. She no longer looked like the badass woman who appeared on their borders over a week ago; she looked like the innocent young girl from high school all those years back.

" Gab! You know there is no way for him to know that!" John tried to reason with the raging Alpha, shaking with anger. Gabriel released a deep growl that shook the room, but he was stopped when the heart monitor jumped slightly. Everyone's head snapped to look at Sam. She had a breathing tube connecting her lungs to a breathing machine. The Theta rushed to Sam and checked the machine as the heart monitor spiked again.

" She's waking up." He told Gabriel and John. Everyone waited with bated breaths as Gabriel walked over to her bedside and took her right hand into his. His other hand went to her cheek as he caressed his thumb over her pale skin.

" Come on, Sam. Wake up." Gabriel called out to her as he squeezed her hands softly. The silence fell again as everyone waited for any sign of movement. Gabriel smiled as he felt her hand twitch in his hand gently.

" That's it, come back to us," Gabriel said as he watched her blue eyes flutter open slowly. They connected with his soft blue eyes sparkling with joy and gladness.

" Good morning." He whispered; Sam began to move and struggle at the fact that she had a breathing tube down her throat. Greg quickly took her shoulders, and her eyes snapped to him. Greg looked at her calmly, hoping that would help keep her calm. 

"Sam, I'm going to take out the breathing tube. It will be uncomfortable but bare with me." Greg said softly as Sam nodded softly. As Greg pulled the tube out, Sam was highly uncomfortable and coughed as the tube left her throat. 

" Holy shit." That was all she said, which earned a chuckle from the three men in the room.

" That's a new one!" Greg spoke gently, "Normal people ask where they are or what happened."

" Well, I ain't normal," Sam spoke in a hoarse voice after having a tube down her throat for the past week.

"That is very true, Luna. I don't know if you remember me, but I am Theta Greg." The man said as he walked up to the other side of Gabriel and continued to check the machines.

" Nice to meet you. But Greg, I am not your Luna." Sam said, looking to him then to Gabriel, whose eyes were every but her. "I never was." She whispered as Gabriel felt his heart breaking from the hurt in her words. Gabriel knew it was not from the fact she did not become the Luna; no, it was the fact he rejected her.

" That may be so," Greg began and turned to Sam, "But you are my Alpha's mate to me even if he accepts that or not. I still see you as my Luna." Greg said as He looked to the Beta and Alpha.

" If you gentlemen don't mind, I would like to talk with Luna Sam alone." He asked, but Gabriel looked at him as John nodded and left. Sam knew Gabriel was not going to leave, so she looked at him.

" Go." She ordered him as Gabriel sighed but nodded.

" Fine, but I will be right outside." He growled as he stood up and walked to the door, closing it behind him.

" How are you feeling?" Greg asked Sam, who nodded and sank into her pillow.

" Like a red hot iron rod has been shoved down my throat." She told him as Greg chuckled and shook his head while writing something down on his clipboard.

" That's normal after having a plastic tube down your throat for the past week." He explained to her. Sam managed to get a good look at this young man. He had to be no older than twenty-five with golden blond hair and beautiful green eyes. He was well built with sculpted arms and chest visible from under the blue dress shirt and maroon tie, a white doctor's coat over the top of his outfit.

" Sam, do you know what happened?" He asked in a more serious voice as Sam's head dropped, and any happy look dropped into a scowl.

" Yes." Sam sighed as she answered Greg.

" Then you know that because of this, we don't know how long until the whithering has left," Greg spoke, but he was met by silence as Sam only nodded. Greg sighed heavily and sank to sit on the edge of her bed.

"I did a bit of reading; this has happened before and when it did." Greg explained, "The rejected was left with little under a month." 

" Look, Sam." Greg began gaining Sam's eyes on him. "Gabriel is an idiot, and even though he rejected you, you are still the Luna of this pack. The moon goddess made you his mate for a reason, and that was that very thing. She knows you have the qualities of a Luna." Greg reasoned with her.

" Maybe she made a mistake," Sam whispered through the deafening silence. "Back then, I was too weak. But now, I am out of control and reckless. Before I ended up here, I would get drunk almost every night. On occasion, drugs. Not soft stuff but the hard." She whispered, looking out the window with shutter blinds. They were open, allowing Sam to see the water drops on the glass.

" I am a lost cause." That was all she whispered. Greg looked at her with sympathy, knowing why she participated in such activities.

" Greg, I just need some time alone," Sam whispered as he nodded and turned to the door. He left her alone, most likely to go and tell Gabriel how long he thinks she has left. Sam sighed and looked to a seat in the far corner. Sam's eye switched between the pile of her spare set of clothes and then to the door. John must have found them in her bike.

Sam shakily stood to her feet and stretched over to her clothes, not wanting to disconnect the heart monitor and send an alarm through the hospital. Sam just managed to grab them before she placed them on the bed; she shuffled through them all, hoping to find one thing. She smiled when she saw her bike key inside. She took off the hospital gown and carefully pulled her dark red, low-neck t-shirt on along with her skinny black jeans, trying her hardest not to trip the heart monitor. She reached over and pulled on her biker boots before quickly tying them on tightly. Picking up her leather jacket, she wrapped it around her waist and picked up her set of keys, stuffing them into her pocket.

"Paper, Pen." She muffled lowly as she reached the end of her bed and lifted the clipboard that had a pen attached. She found a blank piece of paper, sat on the bed and began to write a note quickly. She placed it on the bed and walked to the window. Sam opened it and looked down to see it was only a floor high. Sam smirked as she looked down the front to see her bike sitting there. John must have forgotten to move her bike after he brought it here for her. 

" Thanks, John," she muttered as she took a deep breath, pulled the heart monitor off her finger, and quickly launched herself out the window. She could already hear everyone rushing around to the flat line sound on the monitor. Sam felt a little guilty making them think that she had flatlined when she was making her escape. Sam hit the ground and rushed over to her bike. She threw her leg over the seat and pulled out her keys. Sam quickly started the engine before speeding off in the opposite direction from the Packhouse, not looking back as it disappeared from her mirrors.