The teacher, Professor Vector came in and started lecturing them about the properties of various numbers, and particularly about how they could be used in magic. She explained that numbers were the basis of all spells, whichever language they may be. Arithmancy had evolved over time, and this was the version they could see today.

When the teacher started asking questions, Harry and Daphne sat back to watch the rest of the class as they didn't want to alienate the others with their advanced knowledge. Daphne too was now ahead of her peers, a fact that she was quite proud of, even though no one apart from she and Harry knew about it. Harry was also ahead, though not as much as he was in other subjects; he was more fascinated with Runes while Daphne concentrated on Arithmancy.

Of course, Hermione Granger didn't have a problem raising her hand and answering every question that the teacher asked. She kept shooting smug looks at Harry and Daphne, for which the pair rolled their eyes. Really, would the girl ever mature?

After Arithmancy, Harry headed for Transfiguration, which he had with the Gryffindors. The other crowd of students, who had Divination, came in with worried looks on their faces. When McGonagall transformed into a cat and back to demonstrate the Animagus transformation, no one reacted.

"Really, what has got into you all today?" said Professor McGonagall, turning back with a faint pop, and staring around at them all. "Not that it matters, but that's the first time my transformation's not got applause from a class."

Many of them shifted in their seats until finally, Parvati Patil spoke up. "Ahm, Professor, we've just had our first Divination class and - "

Harry snorted. McGonagall too understood what had happened. "Of course. I should have realised. So, who's going to be dying this year?" she asked blandly.

Many of the students looked at her with incredulous expressions, until Neville finally raised a trembling hand. Harry looked at his friend with surprise.

"I see" said McGonagall. "Well, if you must know Longbottom, Sibyll Trelawney has predicted the death of one student a year since she arrived at this school. None of them has died yet. Seeing death omens is her favourite way of greeting a new class. Divination is one of the most imprecise branches of magic. I shall not conceal from you that I have very little patience with it. True Seers are very rare, and Professor Trelawney -"

She sighed and continued with her lecture. Once the class was done, Harry pulled Neville aside. "Why in Merlin's name would you take that subject?" asked Harry, his eyebrow raised.

"What? Divination?" asked Neville, confused.

"Yes" replied Harry. "It's completely useless unless you have the gift. It's not something that can be learnt. Why didn't you take Ancient Runes?"

When Neville stammered, Harry calmly spoke to him. "Neville, you're the future Lord Longbottom. You can't go around not knowing something as important as Runes. Screw Divination, go talk to McGonagall and change to Ancient Runes. It'll help you in the long run. If McGonagall objects, tell her to read the Hogwarts by-laws. You can change your electives in the first semester if you feel like you can't handle it. And listening to someone telling you that you're going to die isn't something anyone wants to hear. Besides, it's not like you can't handle being in Ancient Runes; you're one of the top ten students of our year."

Neville took a deep breath and nodded. He went back in the classroom. Just as Harry had suspected, McGonagall tried to deny the change possible, but after Neville pointed out that it was indeed within his rights to change his elective, she relented. His timetable was now Ancient Runes instead of Divination.

After lunch, they headed for Care of Magical Creatures. This was a class which consisted of Ravenclaws and Slytherins, though it was higher in number as compared to Arithmancy. Harry saw that Hagrid was waiting for them by his hut.