Chapter 7

Versailles

Taurus ran across the hall in a rush. She was crying, tears rolling down her cheek as she tried convincing herself it wasn't true. She begged for it to be nothing more than a false alarm, but it was too late.
She saw her brother standing next to bed. He too have been crying, for the first time in years.
She stared at the king's lifeless body. Her father's corpse. He had been ill for a while now, but she always saw her father as a strong man who could win any battle.
The two siblings held each other in their arm as the mourned the death of their deceased parents.
Hours passed and none have moved. The servants started getting worried for their prince and princess. The well-beloved monarch situation had plunge the kingdom in a mess and with him gone, Versailles was on the verge of chaos.
The whole land has gone into mourning. School was canceled and all the shops have closed their doors leaving only hospitals to be open.
The butler, worried for the Crown Prince, decided to knock on the door, requesting an audience with the soon to be king.
"Your royal highness, you will soon need to prepare the coronation ceremony. The princess has agreed to take charge of the funeral so you can focus on taking on your new duties."
The prince stayed silent staring blankly at the wall.
The butler could understand him, him too being an orphan from a young age.
The butler eventually left leaving the young prince in his thoughts.
One side of him felt relief that his father wasn't in pain anymore but another side of him wanted to be selfish and not let him go.
He felt lost.
He had trained his entire life to become king, but now, having to applicate that training in real started to make him doubt his abilities. He was scared of making a mistake. He was scared that the entire fate of a kingdom was in his hands and it terrified him. He had barely come of age and now he had the responsibility of countless people.
"Aqua, you in there?"
His sister. He had completely forgotten about her. She too must be going through so much. He should be with her to support her.
He saw his little sister open the door partly before opening the door wide.
"Hey." He said with a straight face but his shaking voice and puffy eyes betrayed him.
Taurus, who was worried for her brother, pulled him in to a hug. "Gosh, you look like ass..." She looked at his face and messed up his hair. "Fine, I'll be nice."
Aqua laughed a little. His sister was simply a ray of sunshine. But he wad curious, how was she okay with all of this. "How are you so... okay? After all of this."
Taurus smiled softly even though the pain in her eyes was clear for everyone to see. "Probably because me and dad weren't that close."

...

Taurus decided to go to Cancer's manor. After all, he was the only one she could speak of these things.
She saw Cancer swinging his sword in front of the manor. The general, who spotted her almost immediately, rushed to open the gates for his girlfriend.
Taurus gave him a huge smile before hugging him tightly while he held the back of her head. They were so close he could smell her shampoo, the sweet rosy scent.
He escorted her to a bench nearby as they both sat.
He looked at her. It was obvious she was in a lot of pain even if she smiled brightly. His thoughts were suddenly interrupted.
"Cancer, do I have something on my face?"
Her voice caught him by surprise and he quickened to deny. "N-no, it's just... Are you really okay? I know you're smiling right now but I don't think that's what you're feeling."
Taurus admired how quick he was to read her. He knew her better than she knew herself and she was glad she had someone like him as her lover.
"Am... I wrong?" Cancer had interpreted the princess' silence wrongly. No matter how much he knew her, he was still a dense idiot, but he was hers and she was happy.
She laughed a bit before telling the story of her and her father's relationship even though he already knew. She told him how her dad blamed her for her mother's death and how much it pained her when she saw his miserable face at the mere sight of her. She told him of all the times she ate alone without him and how all her years on this planet, she had only seen him at official events. She told him the years she yearned for his love and how much she chased after him so he would, for once, look at her with a smile, the same way he would look at Aquarius when he accomplished something. And she told him no matter how much she resented her father, she couldn't help but love him and wish for him to be alive.
Cancer didn't say a word. He just listened as she poured her soul to him and he would comfort her by holding her in his arms.
Taurus was grateful he was such a great listener. She broke apart and started sobbing.
She wanted to hate him.
But in the end, she couldn't find the strength to resent the man who caused her all this pain.