Chapter Three

She stared at the suit sitting on her bed for an eternity.

How had she gone from having a cruisy job by driving the safety car to this?

She was excited, no doubt, about what she could do in that suit, her identity only known by her boss. 

Was it just the nerves setting in? Or was it something deeper?

"Do I even know how to twerk?" She asked herself out loud. "Well, Matilda, you'll have to learn fast!" 

She liked kids. Although she had none, she loved a long hug to cheer someone up.

Finally, she pushed her nerves aside and climbed into the suit. At first, it felt very cumbersome; she just wasn't used to something like this; the head of the costume felt as if it was going to fall off as soon as she even twitched.

Never lose your mascot head, and never talk. They were the two golden rules of being a sports team mascot.

Then, there was the social media side of everything. Blue's Instagram account, not to mention TikTok, was one of the most popular in the country, and other teams, no matter what sport they played, looked up to Blue.

Looking into the mirror in her bedroom, she began to practice her dance moves. It felt weird, but she couldn't deny it. She was starting a new job, and she had to adapt.

Her laptop sat on her bed, YouTube opened, and a playlist of Blue's best moves and mannerisms played.

She just had to fill in for Trey until he could come back. He injured himself badly and wouldn't be back for a while.

She had to study the mascot as much as possible, as her first game and appearance were just a week away. She was also asked to film some bits for Instagram throughout the week.

Just as she was practising her twerking in the mirror to background music, she thought she heard someone at her front door. Quickly pulling the horse's head off, she listened again. The doorbell rang again, and she had just moments to climb out of the suit and put it away safely in her closet.

She seemed just to be 'filling in' for the person who held the position; although she had been the safety car driver for a decade, there was no dancing around it; the original safety car driver, who was German, was back, and she had to vacate the driver's seat.

That's just how it was.

Before that, she held various jobs in the office and outdoors. She'd also had a couple of serious relationships, one of which involved almost becoming someone's wife. Right now, she is single, but she isn't unhappy.

If he came along for the ride, so be it. If he didn't, that would also be fine.

"Carlos?!?"

"Matilda! Mi Dulce! Mi Estrella!" He smiled, holding a massive gift basket in his hands.

She knew a little Spanish, not much, but she knew what he was saying: "I am not sweet, nor a star, Carlos. I just drove the safety car, amigo!" 

"I am a smooth operator, and you are my sweet and my star, Matilda" he smiled as she moved aside to let him into her front hall. "As a friend, Matilda! At least I will be able to see you when I come back over for the races here in America!"

"I look forward to that, Carlos! And thank you for reaching out; you are the only driver so far," she smiled, heading down to the kitchen. 

"Here, unload your hands", she gestured to the breakfast bar.

"Open it!" He was excited. 

Inside was a selection of foods from the United Kingdom and Europe and some lovely things for her home. 

"So you always have a piece of home with you, amiga", he smiled. 

She couldn't help the tears. They were streaming down her face before she knew it.

"Oh, Smooth Operator, what have I done?! I can't do what I am meant to do here in the States!" She cried in his arms; as soon as he saw the first tear well up, he had closed the gap between them quicker than the fastest lap time ever posted in the history of Formula One.

"It's okay, mi dulce! It's okay!" He soothed, "you will be amazing at your job, no matter what you will be doing!" 

"You're the only person who hasn't pushed me to tell them my new job!" She smiled at him, feeling safe and warm in the comfort of his chest. "you give excellent hugs, Smooth Operator!"

"You can tell me in the future if you want to, Matilda, but only if you trust me! Just as long as I can always call you if I ever need to!"

"Of course, Carlos! You have my word, amigo! Would you like to stay the weekend, or do you have to go home and prepare for the next Grand Prix?"

"I can stay tonight if you want to have me", he smiled.

"I will make a bed for you now, Smooth Operator!"

*

 It's not like she had to wear her mascot costume everywhere. She could always store it and take it with her.

The following day, she saw Carlos back at the airport to send him on his way, and then she had to be at the Lucas Oil Stadium, home of the Indianapolis Colts, to do a dance routine with the cheerleaders.

Her first appearance was only in front of a handful of ladies, but she swallowed her nerves as she shook each one's hand.

"We have a new person in Blue's costume, so we'll take it easy this morning and let him settle in, Blue, but show us what you got!" 

A boppy, dancy little number came over the speakers, and Matilda instantly became Blue. This was her job. She had to BE Blue. The ladies formed around her, and the dance routine continued without a hitch.

"Good job, Blue!" a voice came over the speakers. Now, I'm sure you've done your research; Blue the Horse is not a timid little mascot. He's cheeky and loveable, can give it as good as he can take it, and, above all, loves kids! He LOVES to give hugs and remember, his number one rule is that when he gives a hug, he never lets go first!"

 Matilda hadn't heard a word. 

She was fixated on a figure in the stands. 

Carlos Sainz Jr, Ferrari's Smooth Operator. 

"BLUE!" The voice hit her eardrums like a cannon going off.

She just gestured apologetically, there was no talking whatsoever in her job.

"Okay, take a break, everyone! We have a game coming up soon, and you all need to be more than ready!"

He was grinning when she finally reached him in the stands.

"Don't talk amiga!" He was enjoying every second of this. "Mascots can NEVER talk! You can dance, mi estrella, you cannot deny that! If this is your new job, I think you are suited perfectly for it!" 

She didn't talk; she was Blue, she couldn't talk, but instead, she made a pleading gesture with her hands; subtly, Matilda knew she was being watched.

"Amiga! Relax! Your secret is safe with me! But I will be at one of your games to see you at work! You owe me that, at least!" He smiled, giving her cheek a kiss. "I have never kissed a blue horse on the cheek before! Te quiero, amigo mío!"

She was smiling behind Blue's head as she made a heart with her fingers.

Whoever became Mrs Carlos Sainz would be a lucky, lucky woman.