Forty

"I am exhausted," I groan as I settle on one end of the couch at home. Shortbread hops into my lap, and I lazily slide my fingers into her fur. Arran strips off his boots and props his legs on the coffee table as he settles his hands behind his head. Piper settles near him, and I'm once again reminded that she's drawn to men more than to me these days. I suppose it's because there haven't been many men in my life while she's been around – other than my dad and my brother of course.

Releasing a deep sigh, Arran closes his eyes. "You were pretty amazing today, Anna. That bull terrier was lucky that Astrid knew where to bring him."

"Och. You would have done as well with him as I did."

"I don't know about that. You've got the patience of a saint."

"When it comes to animals, yes. People..."

He laughs heartily before falling silent. Clearing his throat, he dives in, "You said you were going to explain more about Blair."

"You had a fun time with her? You like her?"

Rubbing his hand over his face and shaping his beard into a cone, he pauses, not speaking for a while. When he finally says something, it's far from what I expected. "She's been hurt before, hasn't she?"

Although I'm startled at his words, I do my best to school my face. "You'll have to discuss that with her. All I am willing to share is that once she sleeps with a guy, it's 'sayonara' to him. She'll go out on a first date, and sometimes even make it to a third date. But once sex is involved, she ditches him."

"Because she's been hurt before," he asserts, looking to me for confirmation.

Which I refuse to give him. I've already told him more than I should about my bestie. My phone rings, and Arran's eyes flick from my phone to me as he spies Harry's face on the screen.

"Saved by the bell this time, Dr. Anna." With a huge grunt, he removes himself from the couch. "I'll rustle up some food for us."

Waving to him, I slide my finger over the phone, answering the call. "Harry," I say, and I know my voice sounds like the breathless whisper of Marilyn Monroe, but I don't care. "I miss you."

"Good," he smugly responds. "Don't want my girl wandering off with just any wanker, you know?"

Piper barks once, jumping onto the couch and shoving her nose into the phone screen, licking it once, and I have to push her off. "Ewwww. Piper, off." But as soon as she's on the floor again, Shortbread raises her head and snuffles at the phone too.

"You're sounding a little congested there, Anna," Harry teases.

"That was the dogs!" I pretend to be offended, and I hear his high-pitched giggle.

"Sure it was."

"I love you," I giggle. "What's going on there?"

"Just hanging out with Sue and Molly."

"Aw, tell them I said hello and that I am excited to meet them someday."

After relaying the message, I hear what must be Molly's voice. "Tell Anna that she and I need to start creating a maternity line for women who work in rugged jobs."

But Harry doesn't repeat what she's said, and I hear him moving about. "I'm going to finish this in the other room."

"That's what she said!!" A male voice hoots, and I giggle as I imagine what his designer is thinking.

Even though no one is around or can see me, a blush creeps up my neck to my cheeks. I hear a thud as Harry's body lands on a soft surface, followed by the FaceTime sound. Giddiness washes over me as I accept the call, and I know I'm grinning like an eejit when his face pops up.