"Hopefully, with the punishment lifted, I can go back to having just one guard with me? Two is a bit much inside the palace." Farris smiled, hoping he didn't offend Tristan. The latter simply bowed his head.

"His Majesty has assigned me to be Your Highness's personal guard along with Sir Braeden."

Farris's smile trembled.

"However," Tristan straightened, the tiniest curves teasing the corners of his lips. "I'll speak to His Majesty about escorting you only when you're leaving the palace."

Farris thought about it for a moment.

"So, you won't be stalking me when I'm inside the palace?"

The edges of Tristan's lips lifted a fraction higher.

"I apologise for making Your Highness feel that way. I can try to petition His Majesty to let me resume my duties as a palace guard when you're within the palace."

Farris nodded, his smile settling comfortably on his face.

"Then I'll have to thank you for your understanding, Sir Tristan." Maybe he wasn't as unreasonable as Farris thought.

Just as the group was approaching the front of the palace, close to where Farris usually practiced his combat training, loud clinking noises were heard. Farris looked around, surprised to see a troop of soldiers stopping right in front of the palace entrance. Based on their formation, it looked as though they were guarding something in the middle. The knight at the forefront of this formation clutched a small horn and blew into it, the loud roar of a warning horn blaring in the sudden silence.

Farris sped up his pace, unused to this much activity and wanting to see what the problem was, but Tristan beat him to it. In a matter of seconds Tristan was guarding his front while Braeden blocked Farris and Eris from behind. It was a mini version of the formation that was greeting them.

Thankfully, Tristan continued to walk closer but not enough to reach the troop of soldiers. The horn was used to signal the movement of mages during the war and has since been repurposed to summon the King's presence. It must be a truly dire situation.

Farris looked up at the third floor balcony and waited for the double doors leading to the throne room to swing open. After a few minutes, it finally did. Though the balcony was quite far above him, Farris could still make out his father's figure. It was the first time he's seeing King Radin in almost a year. His father looked incredibly thin in his dark red cloak, almost disappearing into it. A steel crown sat heavily on his head, sharp, jagged tips pointing straight to the sky. Even from this distance, Farris could faintly make out the black shadows under his glacial blue eyes. He frowned in concern but knew there was nothing he could do. All part and parcel of being King, he supposed.

"Your Majesty." Farris returned his attention to the leader of the troop as he sunk to one knee and bowed to the King.

"Rise." Farris felt a soft pang in his heart. He'd almost forgotten how his father's voice sounded. Still the same deep timbre with a rumble that sounded like he was growling his words out every now and then. It certainly added to the intimidation factor.

"This mage was caught practicing powerful magic in town. It resulted in an explosion that turned the roof of his home into dust. No other homes or people were affected."

The knight, having finished his report, remained standing with his head bowed low. Farris looked up at his father in time to see him wave his hand, as though he were flicking away a troublesome fly. Farris's gaze snapped back towards the troop as they parted.

Farris stopped breathing.

Kneeling in front of them was Farris's Mystery Man, bound in what could only be a special twine made from nettle, myrrh and mugwort. The combination of these herbs when pressed into the skin of a mage, renders them unable to access their magic. His cloak was even more torn up than before and a large bruise was forming around the scars on his face. Farris had no doubt more bruises were hiding under his clothes. The knight who had spoken took something out of his cloth bag.

"This was found in his possession, Your Majesty."

Farris quickly counted from 1 to 10, repeating it slowly and then counting backwards until he could breathe with some semblance of ease.

In the knight's hand was the golden egg-shaped artefact that Farris himself had given the mage. Yes he asked for his help and even offered four gold leaves but to put this much effort into it? To the point he ended up blowing up the roof of his house and getting arrested? What was he thinking?

Magic really is dangerous, Farris thought to himself bitterly.

Though this situation is quite bad, it could still be salvaged. He'd be in quite a bit of trouble but if he could convince his father that this wasn't a malevolent use of magic and ensure Mystery Man would not use his magic again, it could work? Maybe?

It was definitely his promise of four gold leaves that drove the man to this extent. The deadline he'd given the man was also almost over, no wonder he was desperate. Was he afraid Farris would get him into trouble if he didn't solve it? Did he think Farris was someone important and not a prisoner after all?

Oh, what a mess!

Just as Farris was deciding if he should speak up now and implicate himself in front of all these people or approach his father privately, the King spoke.

"In three days cut off his head in the town square."

With that horrifying sentencing, his father turned around and left. Farris watched with wide eyes as the bound man was lifted up and forced in the direction of the prison cells.

Unfortunately for Farris, the troop had to walk past his group to get to their destination. As the soldiers bowed to him, Mystery Man looked up, their eyes meeting for a split second before he looked away. In that short span of time, Farris felt more than he saw the pure hatred Mystery Man channeled into his glare.