Evie's brows raised. "But Severus said that I shouldn't—"

"What Severus doesn't know won't hurt him," Narcissa interrupted. "You need to familiarise yourself with magic anyway, trying to light a bloody candle with your mind isn't helping."

Still uncertain, Evie didn't move.

It wasn't until several minutes past that she gave up and searched around.

Books, vases, chairs and all things commonly found in pawn shops, nothing peaked Evie's interest. So, to not waste time, she grabbed the nearest thing to her, cashed it and returned to Malfoy Manor before things could become more awkward.

Once they reached the manor's entrance hall, Evie bolted for the staircase.

"Blaise won't be able to make it to your lesson this afternoon, you'll be learning with me," Narcissa called out. Evie let out a rapid 'Alright' before rushing to her bedroom.

She took a seat at her desk, shoving aside the candelabra and slowly unopened the small box.

Inside, was a singular row of black chalk, fully intact — thirteen to be exact. Hovering her fingers above each one tickled her fingertips from the bravado of power alone. She wondered the significance of the chalk.

Could it make her an incredibly well of artist that didn't draw humans with stick arms and legs? Or was it one of those fancy items like in Rapunzel where she could paint something anywhere and it'd come to life?

In the end, Evie closed the box and replaced her empty arms with language books before heading toward the library to meet Narcissa.

"I'm surprised how well you've come," Narcissa said, pouring a cup of fruit tea. "It's only been a few weeks, soon you'll be conducting trade meetings in Asia. Here, have a chocolate frog."

Evie laughed quietly. "You'll have to thank caffeine not me. If I had magic I'd split myself in half so I could learn everything healthily." She opened the card, inside was Marvolo Gaunt in his flaunting twenties.

Narcissa arched her brow. "You can do that now?"

Evie nodded. "Mhm. I know someone in Hogwarts that done it in their fourth year I think. Or fifth."

"Sounds like someone I know," Narcissa said with a sigh. "Bella and I wouldn't get away with tricks like that. Our parents would've hexed us before Dumbledore could."

Evie laughed lightly.

A comfortable pause followed.

Evie asked, "The Daily Prophet said that Dumbledore was one of the most powerful wizard of wizarding kind back then. If that was the case, why was he siding with the terrorists?"

A shrug. "Even the most intelligent can be misguided." The tone in Narcissa's words were ominous. "Dumbledore was incredibly naïve. He attacked his lover out of spite. Raised a boy to his death — gods. I remember Severus' argument with him about it."

"You mean Harry?"

Narcissa flinched.

"That name is forbidden in this household," a gravelly voice startled Evie. She twisted around to find Severus at the doorframe.

Whatever objection they both had of his presence in the lounge was gone the moment he stomped across the room and sat down beside the fireplace.

"Is it because of what he did to Draco?" Evie asked, her voice dropping into a whisper.

Narcissa said nothing, turning away. Severus, however, pursed his lips. "Have your memories returned, then?"

Evie shook her head. "I saw the scars. They were all over his chest and stomach, and back."