Chapter 7

Whoever Astoria thought she was, she wasn't a special woman of any kind.

Evie didn't like her. Five seconds in, manicured hand held out with her pretty, little smile was something Evie had already prepared to hex off the second she got her hands on a wand.

Draco snorted amongst the silence and straightened from his father's desk. "Astoria, I think you need to leave."

Astoria frowned, turning back to him. "But I only just arrived."

He didn't respond.

"Oh, don't be like that, Draco." His eyes narrowed at the informality. "You're always stressing about bloody nuances. I just wanted to see you before you leave me for two weeks."

What on earth did she mean by that? Leave me for two weeks.

Although she kept her shoulders calm, face bold and unchanged, it didn't diffuse the territorial frazzle irking inside Evie's head.

Half of her expected to run, shy away, always inferior to women twice as pretty. But with Phoebe's kick up the backside, Evie refused to hide. Never again.

"I'm sure Evie wouldn't mind, right?" Astoria arched a brow. Her smile was evil.

There was something so off about her, that Evie couldn't help her wild thoughts. Parading so loudly she wouldn't doubt Draco heard them too.

Not even Pansy spoke around him like that. To him, especially. Everyone was scared of him — even his friends, so what on earth was this woman thinking?

Actually, no. I don't even want to bloody know.

"I'd like a moment with Draco, actually. In private."

Astoria played with her pearl earrings. "I'm happy to wait."

Evie tilted her head. She hadn't realised how straight her posture was until she lifted her chin. "Must be urgent if you're willing to wait to speak to him."

A smile.

"Draco and I have a long history together, actually. I'm Daphne's younger sister. If you can remember." Astoria turned back and sat down on the chair, flattened her skirt and oh-so obviously crossed her bare legs. "We've not spoken in almost five weeks and I was beginning to worry about my friend."

"You weren't at the gathering?"

Slightly perturbed, Astoria gave a look at Draco that Evie couldn't pick apart. "No. I was not."

"Oh," was all Evie said. She turned to Draco, brows lifted. "Is she invited to the wedding?"

Astoria flushed, causing Draco to roll his eyes. Through gritted teeth, though masked behind an unbothered smile, Astoria said, "No."

Draco straightened from his desk. Rounded and sat back in the leather chair. "Only people with the Mark are allowed to attend aristocratic weddings."

That was new.

Astoria wasn't a Death Eater.

Astoria corrected, "I would have been given the Mark."

Evie hummed. "But you don't?"

Astoria gave a long pause. "Unfortunate events got in the way before I could."

"Like what?"

Evie knew she was pressing, but Draco didn't take any efforts to stop her.

He watched her, curiously himself. Definitely not the same way he did hours ago at the dinner table.