˗ˏˋʚ03ɞˎˊ˗

──────────────

──────────────

"JONAH." I shouted.

"I left you breakfast!" I shout.

I grabbed my bag and went out the door.

I walked along the side walk with my hood thrown over my face and my hands tucked in my pockets. Today would've been my actual first day of school. I fell asleep yesterday on the bleacher that one of the students after school woke me up.

I was trying to skip less. All last year I rarely showed up to any of my classes that they were even considering holding me back. I just had to finish through two semesters and I was gone. I haven't been completely honest to my brothers though. I planned on enrolling in the army. I was always up for a challenge.

If anyone found out we were living by ourselves we would all be screwed. Although that potentially meant my brothers would be put into foster homes. It was a tough decision to make and believe me I would do anything to protect them. But I'm not their mother, and I certainly am not the replacement. I'm their sister. I should be able to live my life.

Anthony left as soon as he turned 18 and didn't even look back. I get weekly or sometimes monthly phone calls from him and he even sends money sometimes to help out. But between the both of us, I know he wouldn't come back to visit even if he wanted to.

Yet I don't blame him.

Anthony got the trauma from my parents. Since we were younger he had to see them as their worsts. When they had my younger siblings and I, their old habits already died out. They just didn't care. From what I heard, they were snarky and liked to be physical. He protected me, but he could only hold off for so long. I always appreciated him, but I just never understood why he didn't take me with him.

I never would hold a grudge against him for doing it but I just wish things would've turned out differently. But then again I guess I am being a hypocrite for holding a grudge against him now.

I guess I was flustered within my own thought because before I knew it I was already at school.
I walked into the doors. I walked over to my locker placing my books in there. I didn't have any friends. Blood is always thicker than water. I was just fine with my siblings.

I turned around to see a boy staring at me. Except this wouldn't be the first time I've caught him staring at me. He's stared at me for all four years. My freshman year to now my senior year. Sure we've had some classes together but we've never even shared a conversation. We would just stare at each other. Sometimes he'd give me a smile and other times it was like he was talking about me to his friends.

Things get around the school pretty quickly. I was rarely noticed but I was noticed to where people felt the need to pick on me. But that never mattered to me, I had tough skin and I knew I did. I never let anything get to me. I've been through so much, a part of my life has just gone numb. Although people don't see that side of me.. they just see me as an easy target.

I walked off still my eyes trailing on him but I didn't say anything. When I turned around I bumped into a girl. She dropped all her books at her feet.

"I'm sorry." I stumbled back.

"No I'm sorry, I can be such a clutch sometimes." She smiled.

I pursed my lips helping her pick her books.

"Are you new?" I asked.

"No." She swayed her head.

I handed her last back to her about to part my way.

"Hey!" She called out getting closer to me.

I stopped my tracks holding my book bag tightly.

"What's your name?" She asked.

"Athena." I nod.

"I'm payton." She smiled.

She stuck her hand out.

"I don't do hand shakes." I smiled.

"Oh well- I'll see you around." She fixed her sweater before walking away.

I parted my way not saying a word. I had never seen her before, and the whole thing was sort of odd.

~

"Athena!" A voice called out.

I furrowed my eyebrow in confusion. Usually no one even remembered my name.. then again I never gave them chance to.

"Do you mind if I join you for lunch?" She asked.

"Sorry. I don't eat in the cafeteria." I explained.

"Oh." She scratched her head slightly.

I pursed my lips before walking away. I could hear her feet trying to hurry up to the pace of mine.

"What is it now?" I groaned.

"I thought you could use a little company." She shrugged.

I let out a huff of defeat slamming the doors to the football field open.

"Well this is a weird place to eat?" She smiled.

"Why are you being so nice to me?" I stopped walking.

"Well what's wrong with having a friend?" She asked.

"Look I don't need any. So just do me a favor and leave me alone." I walked away.

"You don't scare me you know, it takes a lot to push me away." She shrugged following me.

This was going to be a long year.

──────★──────

 εїз WORD COUNT: 909 εїз