Eight - Reminiscence II

TW: blood, violence

[Name] crouched down as his black eyes pierced through the frail petals of the flower. The purple fluttered in the slight wind, moonlight reflecting on it in careful caresses.

A hyacinth.

The eight year old was intrigued; from his knowledge, they bloomed only in spring. What a rare occurrence to find one in the middle of November.

"C'mon, Nine. We're heading out."

Blinking twice, [Name] readdressed himself at the mention of his name, walking over to the rest of his team with a careful step. He joined them to where they were standing on the edge of a cliff, looking over a large forest. Their sights were set on a well-concealed mansion covered by the heavy foliage, containing a rival gang that Necrosis had been meaning to eliminate.

Hikaru gave [Name] a hearty slap on the back, smiling through his eyes. The younger looked to his side and tried his best to reciprocate. The group all had matching cloth masks covering the lower half of their faces, granting them their signature anonymity as shadow assassins of the Necrosis special force. With a collective nod, they sped down the cliff, no more than black blurs blending into the abyss of the night.

Landing silently, the figures clad in black moved swiftly along the branches of the forest, dancing with the leaves in a deadly rhythm as they neared the house. Once there, they split up and hid within the surrounding bushes, evading the numerous guards with practiced stealth. #002 motioned silently with his hand and, following his orders, Hikaru (#008) advanced soundlessly, unnoticed by the sentries on patrol as he slipped a small black box onto the underside of a low-hanging window's ledge. At the same time, #004 and #006 fixed twin metal contraptions onto the roof and walls on the other side of the building. The rest were busy taking down the guards silently, one by one, shooting each with a poisoned dart into their necks before watching them collapse with a muted thud.

The plan was simple, but risky— bomb the mansion and pretend to be killed in the explosion, with #005 disabling the trackers at a precise moment. The girl in question was meditating in a nearby tree, collecting her thoughts and concentration for her quirk to be able to work at peak power. Wordlessly, #001, leader of the group, emerged from where he was scouting the perimeter, bomb trigger in hand. He nodded sharply and the unit moved collectively to beneath where #005 was sitting, meeting with the others who had swiftly finished their job. #005 opened her eyes, now a vibrant purple, crackling faintly with phantom sparks of electricity. Jumping down to the ground, she nodded in confirmation as #003, sensing her nervousness, held her hand in silent comfort. Hikaru rested his hand on [Name]'s ragged locks as he and the others looked to #001. The adolescent took a deep breath, closing his eyes momentarily. It was now or never, and they only had one shot. His gloved thumb hovered over the button as a tight tension erupted within the team, the teens bracing for impact. He pressed.

Click.

"Boom."

[Name] and the others watched in horror as Hikaru started to laugh hysterically, holding his hands to his stomach as he doubled over. He ripped his mask off of his face, revealing the branding present and glowing deceivingly on the skin of his neck as his eyes erupted in white, hinting the use of his quirk.

"You should have seen your faces! Oh, how hopeful and desperate you were for a little taste of freedom!"

"Eight," #001 muttered under his breath, "what the fuck do you think you're doing?!"

He grabbed Hikaru by the collar as the others backed away, standing behind their leader as they assumed offensive decisions. [Name] was left behind his friend, thoughts in disarray as he scrambled between choosing the two.