Chapter 7

Talking in my room seemed not a good idea at all, so away from the confines of my room, we found ourselves beneath the oak tree in the backyard, a few meters away from the house. The evening air was crisp and fresh, while the bright moonlight was bright enough to see our faces. Despite the refreshing air, the tension between us remained the same.

Standing and facing each other, I looked at them in the eye. Once and for all, this had to be cleared out. "This has to stop," I said, and I felt like their stares pierced through me.

Carl nodded in agreement, leaning casually against the tree. "Yeah, it's gone on long enough."

Caleb crossed his arms, his expression hardening. "I couldn't agree more. It's time to put an end to this."

"Right." I shot back, frustration bubbling within me. "If you continue fighting just because of me, let's end this. That's what you both want anyway."

"That's for the best." Carl sighed, narrowing his eyes. I couldn't read his expression.

Caleb's expression mirrored Carl's, his tone sharp. "It's not fair to any of us. Keeping you this close is impossible. Fuck friendship."

I gasped sharply at Caleb's words, feeling like my heart sank to the ground. I intended to talk to them to end their misunderstanding, not our friendship.

"I've had enough, Sasha. I can't be your friend, either. I can't give you what you want." Carl said, making me recoil as if physically struck.

"Is that it?" my voice trembled, casting my eyes to the ground. I had this feeling it would come to this. Even if I didn't want to admit it, the time would always come to this. "I understand though. I know we can't keep up with this anymore. I'm sorry that I have been making this difficult for both of you. You guys don't need—"

"—Date me, Sasha." Caleb cut me, making me look at him. He looked determined and serious.

"Date you"?

"If you date Caleb, you'll have to try me as well, Sasha. No more friendship. We can stop this friend Zone thing. I want the real one."

" We've tried it before. It didn't work."

"Because we were still friends," Caleb cocked his head to the side. "This time, no more friendship. If we don't work. We separate ways. That's the end of it."

Carl nodded his head.

"Date you. Date both of you." I repeated, incredulous. "Isn't that crazy? Look at yourselves, busted lip, bruised cheek? I don't want any more fighting. You're asking me to choose between you like it's some kind of game."

"It's not a game, Sasha. We're serious. We want to give this a real shot." Caleb's expression remained resolute.

"We're not going to fight again." Carl firmed. "If you give us a chance, we promise there won't be jealousy. No fight between us."

The proposition left me speechless, my mind reeling with different emotions hard to resist.

But...why not try this time?

I couldn't keep the idea out of my mind despite my attempts to push it away. The thought of dating both Caleb and Carl again seemed absurd and reckless, but a part of me couldn't deny the excitement that dawdled in the pit of my stomach. What if it could work? What if we could find a way to make it work without chaos and jealousy?

I was confused, but I found myself drawn to the possibility of exploring something unconventional with the two men who were important people in my life.

So, against my better judgment, I agreed to give it a try.

The market was bustling, and the vibrant array of stalls caught my attention. I could also scent the tantalizing aroma of freshly baked bread and the earthy scent of ripe fruits and vegetables. This seemed different from the city. I liked the scent of the place and the atmosphere. I liked it. Caleb should have come with us to see this, but he chose the company of the horses.