Chapter 4

"Y/n, be honest. Did he or did he not hurt you?" Bruce asked, looking at you seriously from across the living room.

Where he had been sitting the entire evening, while all the Avengers and Y/n was with Loki.

Aware of everything, curtsy of Jarvis.

"You can tell us lady Y/n. If he did hurt you, then anything that happened to him would not be your fault." Thor said, looking rather miserable.

You anxiously picked at the palm of your hand. "He did not do anything. He just had enough magic to conjure that dagger." You lied easily.
You said in a low voice. Now that you weren't threatened with life or death, you had adopted your normal, shy personality right back.
"You have asked me the same question during the entire ride up the elevator, and I have given you the same answer, which will not change. As he did not do anything. Really. Why is that so hard to believe?"

You stiffened as the words left your mouth. You had not intended to speak the last part aloud. Sure, you had been living here for about a month, but what if they kicked you out. You started to apologise, but Clint spoke over you.

"I don't know. I don't know, maybe because he was he'll bent on killing everybody just 6 months ago." Clint said, glaring at you.

Of all the people you were currently sitting with, Clint liked you the most. So it kinda stung as he said those words.

Say something they agree with, then talk about your point. Phrase it in a way they wanna hear.

Something awfully familiar to Loki's voice said, cutting through your internal monologue.

You gasped. Sure, sometimes after reading people's minds, you were used to thinking what they would think for a few days, but never like this. Never in their own voices. It was like he was speaking to you.

You took a shaky breath as Natasha asked softly, "Y/n?"

You looked at her and quickly looked away. She always knew when something was wrong, you didn't want her to see it in your eyes that you were lying. So you continued to say what he would have said.

Nope, not at all unnerving. Or creepy.

But you had to either stay here or go back to the orphanage. You would figure it out later. For now. Resisting the urge to pinch the bridge of your nose and to reign in your temper, which was being amplified by the anger of a guy sitting in a cell 6 floors bellow, you continued.

"He is a bad guy, capable of not only hurting me but thousands others if we let him loose. I understand." You emphasised it by looking at Clint.
"Why would I lie and compromise my own safety?" Because you were an idiot thats why. Because you couldn't let someone die because of you. "Please have a little faith in me."
You took a deep breath,"I know you have no reason to trust him, and you are absolutely right." His voice told you to look at Natasha, a dangerous gamble. You met her eyes as you added, "Trust me." Please believe me. Please. Please.

"Fine," Tony said, not looking happy. "But anything he does will be on you and point break. "

"Okay!" Thor said to him, overly happy that his brother was alive. You would bet he would agree to anything to keep his brother alive.

"Now that that's off the table, Y/n have you come up with a name you want to use when you join school in a month?" Steve asked, relieved that no one would die and Thor would not turn into the sad, always looking like someone just died, guy that he had become after Loki was captured.

A name. Right. As if it would be on the top of your priority list with everything going on. In fact, you had not at all forgotten about it. Nope.

Your fingers reached your lips automatically, not wanting to say something to annoy them.

Afraid of being kicked out again. A simple task such as picking out a name. You had failed that, too.

Your eyes met Natasha's. She knew or had somehow sensed it.
Oh! No.

How could she sense that but not catch your blatant lie. You weren't complaining, but still.

"I think we should let her rest, Steve. She had a very long day today. Besides, school can wait. Say what, I'll help her pick a name within this week." Natasha smiled at you.

Home. Family. That's what she had promised you. And she was delivering it.

The problem was that you weren't very good at keeping your end of the promise till now.

Guilt flooded you. And you looked down. But again, a voice very familiar to your resident trickster made you look at her and say, "I would like that. Thank you, Natasha." You smiled at her. Just as his voice commanded.

"Go on then, kid. Back to your room. Okay?" Tony said, looking into his tablet. "Oh! Do you want someone to keep you company on the walk back?"

"I..." You hesitated, wanting to be alone to figure out if what Clint said on the ride up was true. That you were being mind controlled. Yet you craved company.

His company. He who was trapped in a cell yet again.

You wanted to tell him that it was okay. That you understood.
That he'll be fine here.

Natasha was right. One day, you would die because you cared about everyone. No matter who they are or what they did.

You were also now terrified of what would happen to him if your suspicion were true. If Loki was, somehow, controlling you, he would die, and it'd kinda be on you being ineffective.

"I'll walk you to your room. I was headed to my lab anyway. " He said, getting up. And interrupting your thoughts.

"You don't have to, Tony." You said, not wanting to a burden. You knew he had a date with Pepper tonight. So he wouldn't be heading to the lab. And his room was the farthest from yours.
Also you had absolutely no intentions of going to your room.

"I can't have you fainting midway now, can I?" He gasped suddenly, "What if someone steps on you." Pinching his forefinger and thumb together, he then opened a very small space between them and continued, "You're so small. We'd have Y/n pulp."

You couldn't help as you smiled at that with the others.

"Stop it, Tony." Steve said lightheartedly.

He left the room talking about how now because Fury wanted Loki to help on missions, the Avengers would have to watch their backs more than before.

You walked right behind Tony. Not being able to stop thinking about the raven prince.

Or about the fact that he was right, when he thought no one would believe him if he told the truth.

You would have to make them see the truth. But they would be more than reluctant if they knew of the open wound on your back.

It wasn't his fault. His magic lashed out instinctively at being bound. You were just glad you had worn black today.

You would get the cuts checked up in the morning at your friend's mom's clinic. Away from the Avengers. Who you still couldn't trust. Despite their generosity and kindness.
Despite them trying so hard to treat you with love that was so foreign to you till you moved in with them.

For now, all you really wanted was to curl up in bed and cry.

But you had one last thing left to do. Then you could rest.